VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

Best way to remove resources from vCops?

I had originally configured SCOM adapter and set vCops to monitor all vCenter objects.  Since then I decided not to license SCOM and limit vCops to specific cluster in vCenter.

I created vCops read permissions for cluster to be monitored and changed collector user to read only user.   This caused the non-collected objects to go blue.  I then removed the SCOM adapter and went into Environment -> Environment Overview and deleted the associated objects from the DB.

Is this the appropriate way to remove vCops resources?  Also,  can I just remove a Cluster object and expect vCops to remove children objects?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

MattG,  I use the same method to remove objects from vcops. Env overview then select objects then delete resource. On your second question, I dont think removing any objects automatically removes the children. Similar to *nix command or rm or rm -r. I think vcops is more the rm command and no the recursive or all objects underneath it.

MattG
Expert
Expert

I remove them from each level as well,  I just didn't know if vCops would see parentless children on its next cleanup and remove them

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Two Things :

1. I will load a Future Request to have a settings added to delete an object (Not its data..) if there has no collection been on this object for x days

2. The Manual have a section on deleteting "Old" data, search for "Delete Old Data in the Fiel System Database"

-------------------------

1.  Make a backup copy of the advanced.properties file in the vcenter_ops\user\conf\analytics directory on the vCenter Operations Manager server.
2. Open the original advanced.properties file and find the following lines.
          #Old Data Cleaner Execution frequency. Default is 0(Off) daysoldDataCleanerExecutionFrequency=0#old date range. Default is 900           daysoldDataCleanerDateRange=900Lines that start with # are comments
3. Change oldDataCleanerExecutionFrequency to how often, in days, to erase old data.
          For example, set oldDataCleanerExecutionFrequency to 7 to erase old data once a week. A value of 0, the default, causes old data not to be           erased.
4. Change oldDataCleanerDateRange to how often old data must be before it is erased.
          The default setting erases data that is 900 or more days old.
5. Save your changes and close the advanced.properties file.

6. Restart the Analytics service.
vCenter Operations Manager deletes old data for the first time when the frequency you entered elapses. For example, if you set the frequency to 7, the first data purge occurs one week later
0 Kudos