VMware Cloud Community
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup of vCops Appliance

Just a general question to how people are approaching backing up the VCOPS appliance?
Is anyone using Backupexec 2010? Any feedback would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gravesg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1

I'm wondering if crash consistent VDR/VDP would be reliable enough, havent tried.

For now just shutting down the vapp and cloning it once a week (dont judge me! lol)

0 Kudos
mlebied
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcops-enterprise5-admin-guide.pdf - see Chapter 10. Also check out the attached document. there are different methods depending on whether you're using the the vApp or the full install. I hop this helps.

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the doc - unfortunately its very generic and doesnt really help me alot - we are using the vApp Standard Edition and our DBA's are SQL guys.
The doc doesnt really go in depth and hence why i am asking just to see what others are doing.

i welcome more feedback on this.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi madmanc
There is a solution for vApp back Up VDR2.0 but it can back up only the vApp which can manage 1500 machines. It works on vadp framework. see for VADP framework here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102117...
see the below link , How  VDR 2.0 backsup vcops
  If, however, you have a backup solution which is not using VADP then you can "break" your vApp and back it up as traditional VMs or guest OS.  KB 2031899 has details on managing a "broken" vCOps 5 vApp.
the best practice is test your backup.
Thanks
VK
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi VK

Great information that.. i will look at VADP as we do have Backupexec 2010 and see what can be done
thanks alot!

0 Kudos