VMware Cloud Community
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automatically remove dead objects?

We are starting to use CommVault's VSA Backup, which creates transient VMs and datastores for backup and then removes them (simplified explanation)

All of the objects - VMs and datastores - get registered in vCops, but are not removed when the object is removed from vCenter.

Each time an object is created, it gets a new "identifier 2", so our database and object count grows quite a bit.

Each object has a name with "_backup".

And they are created / mounted on only one host.

Is there a way to automatically delete these objects on a scheduled basis?

Or is there a way to exclude objects created on one host?

I've seen where you can set a parameter in the controllers.properties file to "deleteNotExisting" for VMs (though, I'm not convinced that is working)

But I haven't seen anything similar for other objects.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

are you sure they are actually being removed from VC? not just hidden, obfuscated or something of the sort...

cause vcops will actually remove VMs/Hosts/etc which are not existing and not show them anymore in vsphere UI (in custom_UI they'll be there).

what is the parent (in custom_ui) for any such object?

"deleteNotExisting" should work, but there are some additional properties you have to set as well (deletionPeriod or something), check the KB.

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter: There are "Unregister virtual machine" tasks/ events on the host, and I don't see the "_backup" objects anywhere else.

vCops:  I see them in Environment Overview in the Custom UI, and in Resource selector widgets.

I don't see them in vSphere UI - sorry didn't specify, I seldom go into vSphere UI

I'm just concerned the DB will get over run with useless objects before long.  Especially if we move forward with this backup method.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK.

your concern is correct, actually Smiley Happy

I think configuring a proper deleteNotExisting scheduler should do the trick.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd suggest having the backup appliance create those transient copies somewhere that vC Ops isn't collecting from... e.g. a folder or resource pool with NO ACCESS to the vC Ops collector account so it doesn't import them on auto discovery.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good thought!

I'll look into it.

Thanks

0 Kudos