VMware Cloud Community
FarasDewal
Contributor
Contributor

Automated custom dashboard creation upon installing adapter

Hi,

I have created a custom dashboard for my adapter.

As per the guidelines in the guide, the dashboard file has been placed in the dashboard folder and the necessary scripts have been mentioned.

Still, the dashboard is not getting auto-generated upon deployment of the adapter as I had expected.

Please let me know if there is a way to automate custom dashboard addition when an adapter is deployed, described or instantiated.

Also, would be helpful to get pointers on what all information is required before the dashboard is successfully imported automatically.

Thanks & Regards,

Faras Mohan Dewal

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The dashboards will be populated upon Adapter PAK installation and will be placed as per the post script, but it's worth noting the dashboards won't show until the necessary data is populated.. e.g. RKs and metrics. To ensure this isn't the problem, create a blank dashboard with a couple simple unconfigured widgets and test the deployment process.. if it populates then you know the issue is something in the config of your dashboards require RK/metric that don't exist yet.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
FarasDewal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I created a blank dashboard and it was deployed immediately post installment of the adapter.

But, for my actual dashboard, there are some components on the dashboard which may not necessarily be present in resources collected by my adapter.

Is there a work around for creating my dashboard with the default values without waiting for the real time data?

Your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks & regards,

Faras Mohan Dewal

0 Kudos
FarasDewal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

Your are correct, the ResourceKinds and metric definitions are not available at the point of dashboard installation. Is there a way to make my RKs and metric definition available during the dashboard installation (attached is the file). I have the definitions made available. if I import the dashboard via the manual import option, it works all fine. Kindly advice, the post installation script needs to be as seamless as the manual import option.

Dashboard import errors.JPG

0 Kudos