VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Attribute kind for average memory usage

I am attempting to make a basic, general calculation of how much memory a VM actually is using on average.  In the supermetrics -> "attribute kinds" selections there are these options:

Consumed(KB)

Guest Demand (KB)

Guest Usage (KB)

Usage (KB)

Which of these is most appropriate if I want to determine a VMs average memory usage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For a VM, use these for mem active usage:

Guest Active (KB) or Guest Active Memory (%)

If you're looking for avg usage, see our other comments to your CPU avg post. No real "avg" is avail using SMs, but I would recommend using the vCOps cap planning views and reporting to get a good 'avg' output for your VMs.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

The goal here is to be able to take the info for this one VM, then group different VMs together with a custom attribute that are part of different datacenters and clusters, such as all SQL servers, attach a custom attribute to them, and see what the typical patterns are for Memory Usage for that profile of servers.  In vSphere UI I can only use what the vSphere UI provides for groupings.  If I want to see what the average Guest Active (KB) for a VM has been for the last 3 months, then group VMs together across different clusters and datacenters, can I do this without a supermetric or what is the best method?

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Any ideas?

0 Kudos