VMware Cloud Community
sanoopku
Contributor
Contributor

Application tier health

Hi,

I am using vROps 6.2, under environments I have defined an application with tiers and assigned VMs to the tiers.

I have created a dashboard with an environments overview widget for the application which shows application -> tiers - > VMs -> datastore.

But, even-though some of the VMs have a critical health status, neither the parent Tier or the Application health badges show an issue (they are always green). If I goto the Tier summary of a particular Tier, it does show issues with the VMs under the Top Health Alert for Desendants.

The parent child relationship between Application -> Tier -> VMs -> Datastore exits, If I look at the Object Relationships.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is expected behavior. You need to create alerts that have a health impact, and are generated by decendants/children of the object you have it applied to. So you'd have a health impacting alert at the application, and you'd set it to trigger on the symptoms of descendant VMs or whatever you like. And I don't suggest using the Applications and Tiers, as it is deprecated (ing). It is preferred to use Custom Groups.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos