VMware Cloud Community
yvan_comte
Contributor
Contributor

Alerts cannot be selected and canceled

Hi

I am evaluating vcops 5 and found very confusing with alerts management. Example, I decommissioned datastores the proper way: delete, unassigned from the storage array and rescan. No devices remains on the ESX. For some reason, Vcops set the host to unhealty (which should not appear) and remained for days unhealthy.... but the ESX was always healthy...

I wanted to cancel the alerts to go back to normal state, now way to even select from the alerts list. The UI keep telling me "please select fault alert to cancel" 😞

I re installed the vApp from scratch and will retest how vcops behave with datastore removal

K.r

Yvan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pgoel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which is the Fault Alert you are trying to cancel and are unsuccessful ?

0 Kudos
yvan_comte
Contributor
Contributor

The fault I was not able to cancel was “Lost Storage Connectivity” critical from vcenter.

I saw the unknown, vmhbxx path under event status.

In vcops this was under operations, details, vc, host, Lost Storage connectivity, event status.

0 Kudos
pgoel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Only Fault Alerts can  be cancelled in vCOps. Please ensure that the Alert selected type is 'health' and sub-type 'fault'. Double Click the Fault Alert to be cancelled and on top you will see the 'Action' menu where the fault cancellation icon appears (5th icon).

0 Kudos
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

where did you try to cancel the alert?

there are two way´s to do that.

https://x.x.x.x/vcops-custom

&

https://x.x.x.x/vcops

0 Kudos
yvan_comte
Contributor
Contributor

here we see the details of the host I removed the datastores.

This host stays days un healthy although no alerts in VC and removal process done correctly.

fault.jpg

0 Kudos
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pgoel schrieb:

Only Fault Alerts can  be cancelled in vCOps. Please ensure that the Alert selected type is 'health' and sub-type 'fault'. Double Click the Fault Alert to be cancelled and on top you will see the 'Action' menu where the fault cancellation icon appears (5th icon).

What is if you select only the "faults" alerts? Are there any faults ?

fault.jpg

0 Kudos
yvan_comte
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of office until 2.3.2012.

Kind regards, Yvan Comte

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

that is known issue which we'll be improving for the next patch release.

for now, you have to manually clear all fault alerts (can be done from Alerts list)

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pages 80 -87 of the VMware vCenter Operations Manager Enterprise Getting Started Guide give a pretty good explanation on how to deal with alerts. Currebtly canceling an alert can only be acomplished through the vcops-custom page not vcops-vsphere. Keep in mind that if you only cancel the alert without resolving the issue the alert will return. You can either delete the resource being monitored completely, in your case the datastore, or supress the alert so that it does not return.

Good luck.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos