VMware Cloud Community
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

Alerts are not displaying - After upgraded to vCops 5.8

Upgraded Vcops 5.7.2 to 5.8 , after that could not able to get an Environment & Alerts overview status in VCops Custom Dashboard console..

Vcops server's health also getting critical.... couple of times restareted the servers and serivces also and re-registered VC.

Still could not notice the alerts in VCops Custom Dashboard console

0 Kudos
17 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Give the appliance about 24-hours before it starts to level out and the health improve. The health is degraded because stats have changed, as have formulas. The appliance needs some time, rough the next few days to get back up to a 'green' status when DTs start calc'ing the new levels as 'normal'. This is expected.

When you say "environment & alerts overview" status, what do you mean? Is this a homemade dashboard?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

Environment overview.pngenvironment overview & alerts overview are the defualt consoles in VCops Custom Dashboard webportal... does it requires few days to get all the Alerts & envrionment details which are integrated in Vcops?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, that's a little odd that the lists aren't populating 'consiststantly'. Has it been that way since you upgraded? How long ago did you upgrade?

It could be having difficulty due to resource constaints/pressure. What are the CPU/Mem/Disk Latency levels on the Analytics VM and UI VMs from the vSphere perspective?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

Harware Specifications

VMs                          Disk (Thick Provisioned)                                    CPU           Memory

Analytics VM           Application Disk 200 GB + System Disk 12 GB      2                9 GB

UI VM                          Application Disk 120 + System Disk 12 GB          2                7 GB

Almost 6 Hours over from 5.7.2 to 5.8 upgradation..Still could not notice the overview information in VCops Custom Dashboard console at environment overview & alerts overview consoles

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How many VMs are in your environment?

What is the utilization for CPU/Mem on both VMs?

0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

what is recommanded harware sepcifications for Vcops 5.8 which is going to monitor around  50 VMs?

Has above listed harware sepcifications are not sufficient on Vcops 5.8?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your configured resources are fine for only 50 VMs. What is the disk latency for the VMDKs for the Analytics and UI?

0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

CPU / Memory / Disk Read & write  opeartaions are normal...

Snapshot for previous version (5.7.2) has captured before performing up-gradation ...does it create any impact on this existing 5.8 funactional?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Snapshot will impact IO a little and consume disk space, but it won't impact vC Ops to the degree you're describing.

Have you cycled the appliance yet with a graceful reboot?

0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

Vcops appliance reboot also performed after the Vcops up-gradation. Still could not notice the overview information in VCops Custom Dashboard console at environment overview & alerts overview consoles

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What web browser are you using? Have you cleared your browser cache?

0 Kudos
Ramraj_4k
Contributor
Contributor

Finally observed, IE 9.0 is not supporting few reporting format in VCOPS 5.8

Hence i tried to access the portal via Google chrome and observed all the VCops Custom Dashboard console at environment overview & alerts are reporting as expected.

FYI... Few article stated, Once Vcops is upgraded from 5.X to 5.8, all the customized dashboard from the Custom UI console will be getting an issue/invisible and this issue has to be addressed on some supportive files... Again this issue only applicable on IE 9.0...  but not in the Google chrome..

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Or Firefox.. I personally prefer Firefox for vC Ops as it seems to run very well. Some versions of IE are buggy when using the vC Ops UIs, but generally speaking every version of IE I've seen doesn't perform as well/snappy as Firefox and Chrome with regarding to the vC Ops UI experience.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yeah, it is known that IE is not the recommended browser for vc ops.

Chrome and FF works best.

0 Kudos
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add my own experience...

Upgraded to 5.8.1 yesterday and have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I couldn't to see anything on the Alerts tab.

Came across this article and decided to try a different browser. And just like that all is right in the world. All data is now showing up.

The oddity is that I only use Firefox. Currently running 29.0.1

Now I can only see the alerts if I use IE 9 on Win7.

I would love to know why FF no longer works, but at least I now know there is nothing wrong with my vCOPs install.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Strange, I'll to check it tomorrow on my setup...

edit: checked, seems OK.

can you pass along a screenshot?

also, please clean cache/cookes etc from your browsers and retry

0 Kudos
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor

As it turns out it was the cache in FF.

I closed and reopened the browser, but hadn't cleared the cache. Alerts now come up.

Interesting how alerts were affected in both the standard UI as well as the custom UI and nothing else.

0 Kudos