VMware Cloud Community
dvnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alert vs Symptom Wait Cycles

When creating symptom definitions, an advanced setting is given to change the Wait and Cancel cycle.  However when creating alert definitions, there is also a configuration field to set the Wait and Cancel cycles.  I'm a little confused with which one I should set.  If I set a Wait Cycle of 3 for the symptom and a Wait Cycle of 2 for the alert, does that mean I need to wait 30 minutes of seeing the symptom (3 symptom wait cycles x 5 minutes x 2 alert wait cycles) before seeing an alert?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can do one better! - Here is the official documentation, it's one or two versions behind Smiley Happy

vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1 Documentation Center

The wait cycle setting helps you adjust for sensitivity in your environment. The wait cycle for the alert definition goes into effect after the wait cycle for the symptom definition results in a triggered symptom. In most alert definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the wait cycle of alert definition to 1. This configuration ensures that the alert is immediately generated after all of the symptoms are triggered at the desired symptom sensitivity level.

The cancel cycle setting helps you adjust for sensitivity in your environment. The cancel cycle for the alert definition goes into affect after the cancel cycle for the symptom definition results in a cancelled symptom. In most definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the cancel cycle of alert definition to 1. This configuration ensures that the alert is immediately cancelled after all of the symptoms conditions disappear after the desired symptom cancel cycle.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

They are combined, so the symptom triggers based on its wait cycle, then the alert triggers after it's wait cycle is complete.

There is more information about this in the below quote:

Hope this helps!

The wait cycle setting helps you adjust for sensitivity in your environment. The wait cycle for the alert definition goes into effect after the wait cycle for the symptom definition results in a triggered symptom. In most alert definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the wait cycle of alert definition to

This configuration ensures that the alert is immediately generated after all of the symptoms are triggered at the desired symptom sensitivity level.

0 Kudos
dvnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!  It appears some parts of your message was cut off.

"The wait cycle for the alert definition goes into effect after the wait cycle for the symptom definition results in a triggered symptom. In most alert definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the wait cycle of alert definition to" 

May I ask for what the rest of the sentence?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can do one better! - Here is the official documentation, it's one or two versions behind Smiley Happy

vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1 Documentation Center

The wait cycle setting helps you adjust for sensitivity in your environment. The wait cycle for the alert definition goes into effect after the wait cycle for the symptom definition results in a triggered symptom. In most alert definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the wait cycle of alert definition to 1. This configuration ensures that the alert is immediately generated after all of the symptoms are triggered at the desired symptom sensitivity level.

The cancel cycle setting helps you adjust for sensitivity in your environment. The cancel cycle for the alert definition goes into affect after the cancel cycle for the symptom definition results in a cancelled symptom. In most definitions you configure the sensitivity at the symptom level and configure the cancel cycle of alert definition to 1. This configuration ensures that the alert is immediately cancelled after all of the symptoms conditions disappear after the desired symptom cancel cycle.

0 Kudos
dvnguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, I should have read the manual...Thanks!

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Anytime!

0 Kudos