VMware Cloud Community
ITJef
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agents Communicating

I am new to VROPS. How can i tell which horizon VDI machines are sending data to VROPS and which ones are having issues and not sending data? At times i can go into vrops and view current stats like latency and cpu and processes and at times this data is not available for certain machines. I have rebooted the workstations but can't tell in the VROPs console how to determine if the machine is sending data.

Also i am seeing messages that say "not receiving data from the desktop agent" in the console for some machines and not others. It would be nice to have a list of all machines and the current status.

we are using vrops 6.6.1.6163035

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Vrops collects data from from the adapter sources. The sources ( VDI desktops) do not send data to vrops. If you have no data on an object there is normally one of 3 reasons for it

1. That adapter's user account does not have permissions to the object
  2. The metric is not configured in the policy to collect.
  3. The time frame you have selected is before the time of first collection

The easiest way to check if you are having collection problems is

1. to go to the administration tab
  2. select configuration
  3. expand inventory explorer
  4. expand adapter instances
  5. select and expand your adapter in question
  6. select the configured adapter name

The collection state indicates whether vrops should be collecting data for the object

The Collection Status column indicates whether vrops is receiving data for the adapter instance object.

You can do this on an object in environment and select the VM on the top right you will see the two status above

the error you are getting "not receiving data from the desktop agent" is at a guess a Horizon view error in the view admin console as i dont recognise it as a vrops error. If so i dont use view so i cant help with that sorry

0 Kudos
ITJef
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks this was the exact data that i was looking for.

The thing is there are machines that was sending data for days and worked great and now all of a sudden it stopped and we changed nothing in VROPS. In particular PCOIP Round trip latency is a metric we use alot and sometime it is listed and sometime its not. The  times when it is not we see the message saying that the machine is not communicating properly to VROPS.

We have about 800 machines and some of the machines have a green collection status and some of them do not. I am still chasing why this would be.

0 Kudos
ITJef
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For example below is a machine that i can find in inventory explorer and it looks as if it is sending data properly based on the collection state and collection status. However

pastedImage_0.png

however when i look for the PCOIP metric for this machine to see the round trip latency it is not available. This worked on this particular machine about 2 weeks ago and now it stopped all of a sudden. I have reinstalled the horizon agent on the machine but that does not seem to help. When i look at performance monitor on the machine i can see the PCOIP round trip latency counter there so i know its installed.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I dont use View so will not be much help. I am guessing the adapter is configured to connect to the connection server. If so the data being pulled into vrops will be based on what that connection server has access to.

If that is the case are you seeing missing data from the connection server management interface.

I am hoping one of the other guys that has more experience than me in view will be able to help.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We're using version 6.3 of the Horizon Adapter, so a little behind, but unless they made significant changes all of the VDI related metrics like PCOIP latency are on VDI objects such as VDI Dekstop Pools and VDI Desktop Sessions.  If you look at objects related to the virtual machine one of them should be of the type "VDI Desktop Session" and you should see these metrics there.  The vCenter objects such as virtual machine are managed by the vCenter adapter and don't have the VDI related metrics. 

VDI session metrics like PCIOP latency are reported by an agent on the desktop and only collected when a user is logged in (i.e. there is an active session generating PCOIP traffic).  There is a vROps for Horizon agent that can be downloaded with the Horizon adapter that should be installed on the VDI desktops.  This functionality was included in the View agent a while back, so you may have never installed the extra agent for vROps for Horizon and could still be getting some of the session metrics.  However, VMware recommends installing the vROps for Horizon desktop agent for your version of the Horizon adapter.  I had several SR's open for these types of issues a while back and it can be a bit of a headache.  Anyway I would check that you're desktops are running the vROps for Horizon agent for your version of the Horizon adapter.

The Horizon Adapter Self Health dashboard is a good place to check overall health of the adapter instance(s) and broker agent(s).  This dashboard doesn't have anything for the desktop agents, but it's a good place to start to insure that the adapter instance(s) and broker agent(s) are healthy.  In addition to using the Inventory Explorer the Horizon User Session Details dashboard can be used to check the VDI Desktop sessions.  You can add a column at the top for Collection State and see which ones aren't collecting, but keep in mind that if the user isn't logged in the VDI desktop session object won't be receiving data.

For troubleshooting issues with the agent on individual desktops, the agent logs can be found in C:\ProgramData\VMware\vRealize Operations for Horizon\Desktop Agent\logs.  If all else fails reinstalling the agent will sometimes help.  For vROps for Horizon 6.3 and prior it's important for the vROps for Horizon agent to be installed and/or updated after the View agent.  Not sure if that is still the case in later versions.

0 Kudos