VMware Cloud Community
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 minute wait cycle?

Is there a way to set an alert and notification immediately after a symptom is triggered, rather than what appears to be the minimum wait cycle of 5 minutes?  vCenter alerts (for example, host not responding) will trigger immediately, but I want to have one point of alerting to send to ServiceNow, and that will be vROps. I'd rather not change the actual wait cycle time itself if possible.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's not that anything is "waiting" for 5 minutes, it's that vROps collects, by default, every 5 minutes. So if you have a wait cycle of 1, which is the lowest you can go, then it is possible you have to wait up to​ 5 minutes for that alert to fire.

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Right, I worded it poorly.  Is there any way to get vCenter to tell vROps to fire an alert immediately when a condition is triggered?  Let's take a host not responding error...server has a hardware fault and dies. vCenter knows about it right away, but vCenter has no way to page out our on-call staff via ServiceNow. vROps, however, does have a way to page out, but I'd rather have it page immediately rather than waiting up to the 5 minute cycle.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Vrops pulls data from the vcenter at a min of every 5 mins. Vcenter does not push data to vrops so i dont think you can do what you want. So depending on when the disconnect happens you would be unlucky for it to happen just after the collection. But lets be real if something disconnects and you have your cluster and hosts configured correctly why do you need instant alerts  If it dies then HA will have powered them back on before your on call has time to get out of bed.

You may be able to have log insight forward the alert to vrops but i have not done so so dont know what is involved. I am sure other ppl here could help if that is an option

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Got it. Yeah, it's a good idea for a feature request, but I don't think this is something that's possible today because vROps simply doesn't know about it until it polls vCenter on that interval. It's possible to change that, but it has serious implications for data storage and so can be potentially dangerous.