VMware Cloud Community
James__M
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Log Insight (enterprise edition) VS vRealize Log Insight for vCenter Server

One major thing that I've noticed about vRealize Log Insight for vCenter Server is that the content pack import button is removed and it looks like content packs are only allowed to be added through the "online marketplace" built-in embedded window. I believe the manual import feature is disabled so prevent others from importing content packs and the embedded marketplace probably has code to restrict what content packs show up for importing. The bad thing about this restriction is that if you are deploying Log Insight for vCenter Server in a disconnected environment, the content pack embedded marketplace obviously won't work without an internet connect so you're stuck with the stock vSphere content pack and that's it. If anyone knows how to manually import content packs via PowerCLI, a built-in linux script (virtual appliance) or any other way, that would be great. Figure I'd post this here for anyone searching the web for a solution as to why the import button doesn't show up.

Labels (3)
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is by design. Importing custom content packs will be disabled with Limited license. To get the Import button back in the product and enable import of all content packs you will need to upgrade to a standard (full) license. Hope this helps!

sflanders
Commander
Commander

Hey James, Unfortunately it is completely unsupported and against the EULA to attempt to by-pass in order to install content packs. Note, that the marketplace is driven by the client browser having access to the Internet and not the LI instance having access to the Internet. This makes it more likely to work in secure environments. I hope this helps!

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===