VMware Cloud Community
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Server not sending data to vCenter Log Insight

I've got a second vCenter server in a different site, the connection tests fine in Log Insight but I'm not seeing any data from it...

The ESXi hosts connected to that vcenter server are reporting their data after running the configure-esxi command from the shell.

Where can I look on the vCenter box thats not reporting to make sure its setup correctly to send the data?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Log Insight does not make any changes to vCenter Server so there is not place to look on vCenter Server (API calls only - you could try looking at the events for the vCenter Server instance to see log in / log out events from Log Insight). Typically when vCenter Server events, tasks, and alarms are not being seen it points to a permissions problem with the connection. The user you specified for vCenter Server integration - does it have read-only permissions that are defined on the top-level vCenter Server object and did you select the checkbox to allow the permission to propagate through all objects? If yes, can you generate a support bundle from the Administration -> Health page and upload it per the directions here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008525 (no need for a SR, just create a folder called chasehansen)

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Log Insight does not make any changes to vCenter Server so there is not place to look on vCenter Server (API calls only - you could try looking at the events for the vCenter Server instance to see log in / log out events from Log Insight). Typically when vCenter Server events, tasks, and alarms are not being seen it points to a permissions problem with the connection. The user you specified for vCenter Server integration - does it have read-only permissions that are defined on the top-level vCenter Server object and did you select the checkbox to allow the permission to propagate through all objects? If yes, can you generate a support bundle from the Administration -> Health page and upload it per the directions here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008525 (no need for a SR, just create a folder called chasehansen)

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can see the logins from the configured user within Log Insight to the vCenter box. Now that I logged into the vSphere Client it did send a login record to the Insight Server and I see some data from about 30 minutes ago. Guess it just wasn't as quick as the local vCenter box.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Excellent! Can you mark this question answered?

0 Kudos
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. thank you

0 Kudos