One vRA infrastructure :

• 2 appliances vRA
  • 7 IaaS servers

Two vSphere infastructure :

• 2 vCenter without ESXi log

ymichalak_0-1617012405958.png

We have 25 OSI's but on "log insight" we have this warning : License Violation

ymichalak_1-1617012503479.png

Why log insight see 147 OSI's ? I think Log insight see ESXi servers but we have uncheck the option :

- Configure ESXi hosts to send logs to Log Insight 

Thx for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm this.

I've experienced the same behaviour with the "VMware - Horizon" Content Pack. Only our Horizon Connection Servers are sending logs, but vRLI extracts every VDI VM Hostname and counts them as separate OSI.

It's certanly good for filterling, but from a licensing perspective, it's bad.

Already had open SR's with GSS and also spoken to VMware employees at VMworld. In short: they are not willing/able to change the behaviour.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Cederberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi.

If I read this passage right in the documentation for log insight it seems as if the ESXi hosts are listed even if they don't send logs if a vcenter integration is added to Log insight.

"If you have configured a vCenter Server to send events and alarms, but have not configured the individual ESXi hosts to send logs, the Hostname column lists both the vCenter Server and the individual ESXi hosts as the source instead of listing just the vCenter Server."
https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Log-Insight/8.3/com.vmware.log-insight.administration.doc/GUID-0...

If you check under Administration -> Hosts you will se everything the log insight server counts as a OSI.

I think you need to contact VMware support to see if this is an actual license violation.

0 Kudos
ymichalak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thx @Cederberg  😉

0 Kudos
crush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm this.

I've experienced the same behaviour with the "VMware - Horizon" Content Pack. Only our Horizon Connection Servers are sending logs, but vRLI extracts every VDI VM Hostname and counts them as separate OSI.

It's certanly good for filterling, but from a licensing perspective, it's bad.

Already had open SR's with GSS and also spoken to VMware employees at VMworld. In short: they are not willing/able to change the behaviour.