VMware Cloud Community
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The documentation around adding further storage to Log Insight isn't exactly clear,  "You increase the storage space by adding a new virtual disk to the  Log Insight virtual appliance. You can add as many disks as you need, and as your environment permits " I don't believe this is entirely true, I read somewhere that a maximum of 2TB can be added to a Log Insight appliance by adding an additional disk/s and not by increasing the current disk, can someone confirm?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The doc link to the topic is here - VMware vRealize Log Insight

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This might help explain it a little better - Log Insight: Virtual Disk Size on Virtual Appliance - SFlanders.net

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi yes I have seen that, still looking for something official in the documentation which I can't find.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The doc link to the topic is here - VMware vRealize Log Insight

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Arh ok found the answer here finally 😉  4TB of space.

VMware vRealize Log Insight 3.0 Documentation Center

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Log Insight 3.0 and 3.3 have a maximum of 4TB addressable log storage, on VMDKs with a maximum size of 2TB each. That means you could have two 2TB VMDKs, or four 1TB VMDKs, etc. Once you get to sizes around that point, though, you'll probably want to scale outward with a larger cluster size instead of adding more disk to existing VMs.

(A single >2TB VMDK won't be usable because of the old MSDOS partition table layout. Converting to GPT can solve that nicely, but there's little pressure to convert existing disk: see previous scale-out.)

0 Kudos