VMware Cloud Community
jadedpuppy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How well do the vRLI logs compress? Are they encrypted?

I am trying to get an idea as to how well vRLI logs will compress on our SAN.  I know we can encrypt the logs in transit, but I don't think they are encrypted at rest. 

Additionally, I don't know what format the logs are in, so cannot forward this information to our SAN vendor to get them to estimate the compression we will receive.  From what I can see, the logs appear to be compressed by vRLI, so I'm guessing that we might not get any further benefit from our SAN-level compression anyhow.

Any additional information on this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes vRLI stores events in compressed format.

When the event is passed through the vRealize Log Insight ingestion pipeline, the following steps occur:

• A keyword index is created or updated. The index is stored in proprietary format on local disk.
  • Machine learning is applied to cluster events.
  • The event is stored in compressed proprietary format on the local disk in a bucket .

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes vRLI stores events in compressed format.

When the event is passed through the vRealize Log Insight ingestion pipeline, the following steps occur:

• A keyword index is created or updated. The index is stored in proprietary format on local disk.
  • Machine learning is applied to cluster events.
  • The event is stored in compressed proprietary format on the local disk in a bucket .

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jadedpuppy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that answers the compression question nicely, thank you.

You didn't mention anything about encryption though.  Are they encrypted at rest?

0 Kudos
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

no

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
jadedpuppy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution