VMware Cloud Community
mvelezwhiteeLea
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Historical Data from vCenters via vRealize Log Insight

Good afternoon family:

I'm not new to this wonderful forum, but I am with a new organization.  It's wonderful because they actually get it!!  VMware is a must-have tool and its many products help to make our lives so much easier.

Currently, I have a Support Request ticket in with VMware.  It's been over a week now and we're still not getting any solutions to the problem of datastores 'dropping off' the system at just around midnight since Valentine's Day.  While waiting on guidance from VMware, I thought it would be a good idea to get Log Insight installed so that we could perhaps diagnose this ourselves.  Log Insight was installed successfully.  All our vCenters are linked to the current instance.  (We will add more nodes later.)  My challenge is that logs for the datastores in question have only been collected from the point at which Log Insight was installed.  My understanding is that Log Insight keeps approx. 90 days of logs; depending upon your storage and retention policies (aka your mileage may vary).  I'm trying to determine how I can go back and pull information from perhaps 80 days before the install.  I'm making a dangerous assumption that these logs can be pulled from various portions of the vCenter.

I'm open to any suggestions that you folks may have.  My gut tells me that it's something simple; I'm just overlooking something due to being stressed out.  I thank you in advance for your learned help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

At this time, there is no way to retroactively sequester vCenter's database for past messages, at least to my knowledge.

0 Kudos