VMware Cloud Community
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Brocade SAN Content Pack initial setup

I imported the Brocade SAN content pack into our 1.5 log insight appliance. The SAN admin set up syslog forwarding on the network advisor server for the switches via IP address and port 514.

After more than 24 hours no data is shown in log insight under the Brocade SAN dashboards.

Is there another step I'm missing? Documentation is sparse on this product.

I thought to restart the log insight appliance, but a warning comes up about hosts not being able to continue logging after losing connection with the appliance, so I only wanted to do that if absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

would you believe said SAN admin typed in the wrong IP address for the log insight appliance? problem solved. human error.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you can access the LI web UI then it is not a server side issue. I would have the SAN administrator confirm they configured the switch per the instructions on Solution Exchange: https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/brocade-san-content-pack-for-log-insight#.U3T2eFh.... Ensure the switch can access the LI server (try ping <IP> followed by telnet <IP> 514). You do not need to restart LI. All documentation for LI can be found here: VMware vCenter Log Insight Documentation

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The SAN admin set up BNA according to option 2 of the instructions. I was asking if there was more to the configuration since following the short instructions did not result in data on log insight. If we're using option 2 then pinging log insight from the switch should not be necessary I would assume since BNA is where the switch is sending the logs. BNA is then forwarding the logs to log insight.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Correct, so the tests should be performed from the BNA. It sounds like either the BNA cannot access the LI instance (network/firewall issue) or the BNA is not sending to the right IP/FQDN (configuration issue).

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

would you believe said SAN admin typed in the wrong IP address for the log insight appliance? problem solved. human error.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Awesome, glad you got it figured out!

0 Kudos