VMware Cloud Community
Magicmanashu
Contributor
Contributor

vra 8 - Default email notifications via email server

Do you have any information on default Email notification scenarios for vRA 8. Does it have all default email notifications as version 7 did, especially, request submitted/completed and machine is ready notifications.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.0/Using-and-Managing-Service-Broker/GUID-9973D5B2-9...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeNox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just saw this from the release notes of 8.0.1:

vRealize Automation 8 uses the user ID to send emails.

Some users use a different email address other than the one associated with their user ID. This might result in missing or lost emails from vRealize Automation 8.

Workaround: None

I looked at 8.1 release notes and saw no mention. (I'm running 8.1).  I then went into vra and looked at "User Settings" "My Account",  and for email it has my username.  The weird thing is that when I configure the email server, it actually sends me a test email.

Has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
MikeNox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just realized that there are only 2 notifications that are sent per 8.1 documentation:

Email messages are sent to users in the following scenarios.

• A deployment lease expires soon. The message is sent to the deployment owner three days before the lease expires.
    Sample lease expiring message
  • A deploy lease expired and the deploy is about to be deleted. The message is sent to the deployment owner 15–30 minutes before it is destroyed.
    Sample lease expired message.

I confirmed that setting the lease to expire sends off these messages, but no other notifications are available in vRA 8.1.

Major disappointment. I'll have to make a subscription to run post build to notify users of their request completion.

0 Kudos
MikeNox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can anyone confirm that all of the notification emails that were generated by vRA 6.x & 7.x are no longer part of the product and would need to be created with ESB?

0 Kudos
fatsheep
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Everyone,

I have a problem same.

On VRA 8.1 I don't find default email notifications as version 7 did. Example:

+ Notification Create, Complete, fail, power on, power off, reconfigure

can you have idea or solution on VRA 8.1?

Regards,

0 Kudos
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As you already found out, there are no default notifications in vRA8.

I have e-mails going out through an ABX action based on a subscription on the "Compute post provision" and "compute post removal" events, but you can do this for any day2 action as well.

Getting an e-mail on a failure is a different problem that VMWare will hopefully address. In the mean time, I run a non blocking ABX action (flow) on the "compute allocation" event that keeps making API calls to vRA to check on the deployment status, it either ends when it is successfull or generates a ticket (could be an e-mail) when it fails or times out. Note that an ABX flow has a maximum timeout of 12000 seconds, but each action in the flow has its own limited timeout so this might not be a good option if you use approval policies.

0 Kudos
siglert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In VRO their is a SEND MAIL workflow.  Use it and create a workflow.  Add the workflow as a subscription to Compute provision pre and compute provision post.  I use the same workflow and depending on which subscription is fired it sets the proper content.  This will send the notifications out.  You have to configure SMTP inside of VRO though (which can be done via another workflow).

0 Kudos