VMware Cloud Community
CianoKuraz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcac 6 - bypass the approval policy

Hi,

strange behavior of the vCAC approval policy.

if i create an approval policy, for example, for the amount of ram > 4000 mb, works good at the first request...the job is in pending approval status.

i approve the vm and the vm is deployed

but later, if the user reconfigures the virtual machine, he is able to  set the RAM to 5000, 6000 mb, up to the maximum configured on the blueprint...

is that normal?

thanks

Alan

Alan Civita - RHCA - vCAP-DCD, vExpert2014
0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe this is  the expected behavior. The Approval policy is associated for the initial request. The reconfigure action could be entitled to a given user and additionally another approval policy could be associated where you can specify the same or different policy rules.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Machine Reconfiguration Life Cycle Explained:

When it comes to reconfiguration, approval can be required due to user entitlements and approval policies.  These can vary from user to user given the advance in approval functionality in 6.0.

There are three reactions to a successful approval of a reconfiguration (These are scheduled by the owner and are set as part of the approval):

1.  Immediate - This occurs

2.  Schedule - The owner sets the date/time for reconfig.  This can be rescheduled if the approver approves after the scheduled time.  This can be done without re-approval

3. Queue for Owner - This will drop the reconfig back into the owner's hand.  They will determine when it is right to reconfig/reboot the machine.

Here is a great direct  link to documentation explaining the process:  vCloud Automation Center Documentation

CianoKuraz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the explanation Smiley Happy

Alan Civita - RHCA - vCAP-DCD, vExpert2014
0 Kudos