VMware Cloud Community
djmoose
Contributor
Contributor

vcac 5.1 prereq checker - 'IISServer' Rule won't turn green

Hey everyone, I'm setting up vCAC 5.1 and going through the prereq steps. I've enabled and turned all of the authentication checks green, but for some reason I can't get the main IISServer Rule to check out.

"IIS Server is installed but not running or it is running but no authentication module is installed/enabled.

Am I missing someplace to actually enable an authentication service? The feature is installed.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

0 Kudos
7 Replies
harkamal
Expert
Expert

It's a bug, I never got past that.

Rebuild OS or continue as is..

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A couple of things can cause this.  Try doing the following from a command prompt with elevated privileges:

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

iisreset

This will re-register ASP.NET with IIS.  Reboot the server at this point then re-run the prereq checker.

Out of curiosity, why not do VCAC 5.2?

0 Kudos
djmoose
Contributor
Contributor

Sean Howard wrote:

Out of curiosity, why not do VCAC 5.2?

Basically, because it's what we have licences for via the 5.1 Cloud Suite.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. Actually, I tried the regiis, but I don't think I've rebooted since then.

0 Kudos
djmoose
Contributor
Contributor

Sean Howard wrote:

A couple of things can cause this.  Try doing the following from a command prompt with elevated privileges:

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

iisreset

This will re-register ASP.NET with IIS.  Reboot the server at this point then re-run the prereq checker.

No luck. What other things can cause this? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
djmoose
Contributor
Contributor

harkamal wrote:

It's a bug, I never got past that.

Rebuild OS or continue as is..

Sent from my iPhone

You're saying you've seen this before and the install runs just fine?

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First, try adding in all of the authentication types for IIS (basic/digest) in addition to Windows auth.  Even though you'll be using only Windows auth, IIS 7 sometimes behaves strangely if those other modules aren't there.

Also try pinging the fqdn of the host from itself and see if it returns the loopback address for ipv6 (::1).  I've seen this cause problems as well.  Go into the host file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts) and add a line for the FQDN *and* another line for just the hostname of the VCAC server that points to the actual IP of it (not 127.0.0.1), like this:

10.25.8.111        myserver
10.25.8.111        myserver.mydomain.local

restart IIS and try again. 

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since you know IIS is installed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see green ticks under other IIS prerequisites, check the following:

• World Wide Web publishing service is running (services)
  • Default website is running (IIS Manager)
  • Default Application Pool is running

For future installs there is a blog that includes the PS Script for a completely scripted prerequisite installation/configuration:

http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2013/09/automating-the-pre-requisites-for-vcac-5-2.html

Scroll to the bottom

0 Kudos