VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSphere Requirements for vRealize Automation

What are the things I need to have in place in the virtualization layer of my environment in order to deploy the latest version of vRA?

-Do I need to have all distributred switches or can I use standard switches?

-Do I need to be using datastore clusters or can I use individual datastores not in clusters?

-Are there any other specific things that need to be in place in vSphere for vRA to work?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First, there is a big distinction between need to have and should have. The first list is fairly small whereas the second is not. To answer your specific bullet points, you don't strictly *need* to have either of those things, but they fall into the "should have" category. Here's some starter information for both of those lists.

Need to haveShould have
vCenter version compatible with target version of vRADistributed switch

Dedicated service account with appropriate permissions inside vCenter

Datastore clusters in fully-automated mode
VM templates (if using clone workflows)Dedicated VM templates with customization specs.
Valid license for vRAConsistent networking and storage configuration
Necessary servers for MS SQL and Windows IaaS role(s).Stable and reliable vSphere with vCenter infrastructure

But more important than either of these lists is a set of processes and operational methods which are consistent and repeatable in your environment. vRA enables cloud--not simply just convenient VM deployment. If you aren't ready for cloud due to bad process and non-automate-able tasks, you're going to have a hard go of vRA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First, there is a big distinction between need to have and should have. The first list is fairly small whereas the second is not. To answer your specific bullet points, you don't strictly *need* to have either of those things, but they fall into the "should have" category. Here's some starter information for both of those lists.

Need to haveShould have
vCenter version compatible with target version of vRADistributed switch

Dedicated service account with appropriate permissions inside vCenter

Datastore clusters in fully-automated mode
VM templates (if using clone workflows)Dedicated VM templates with customization specs.
Valid license for vRAConsistent networking and storage configuration
Necessary servers for MS SQL and Windows IaaS role(s).Stable and reliable vSphere with vCenter infrastructure

But more important than either of these lists is a set of processes and operational methods which are consistent and repeatable in your environment. vRA enables cloud--not simply just convenient VM deployment. If you aren't ready for cloud due to bad process and non-automate-able tasks, you're going to have a hard go of vRA.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

great input - thanks again.

0 Kudos