VMware Cloud Community
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRealize appliance connectivity issue with my server Iaas

Hello everyone,

I'm a junior cloud architect and I'm deploying vRealize Automation for a Proof of Concept. I already deploy the appliance on my vCenter but during the configuration with the wizzard from Prerequisite checker step, it shows: pastedImage_0.png.

And when i click run button for check the prerequisites in the Iaas server, it never show the list of prerequisites for the Iaas server.

It stucks on "Waiting for host to trigger prerequisite check".

If i can't know if my Iaas server meet all the requirements, i can't take the risk to pursue the installation, it will fail.

Thank's for the interrest.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Deploy it again through vCenter as something went wrong. You should be using vRA 7.3 and not the older 7.2 release.

View solution in original post

30 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This error is not something you normally see, so what's the connectivity between your appliance and your one Windows IaaS server? Is this your architecture (minimal)? Check connectivity between the two with a constant ping to see what the latency is and packet loss.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi daphnissov​, I already test that with a ping between my vRealize Appliance and my Iaas server.

A ping from the vRealize Appliance to my Iaas Server:pastedImage_0.png

Another ping from my Iaas server to the vRealize Appliance:

They communicate perfectly maybe the latency time isn't one of the best but whatever the ping pass.

Even if i pursue the installation without checking the prerequisite on my Iaas server i stuck here and no way to continu:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post more details on your environment and architecture. Did you also make sure to install the management agent on your Windows IaaS host?

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I already install the management agent on my Iaas server:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

I am using 2 ESX hosts (60 Gb disk and 32 Gb memory each):

-i install vCenter Server and a Iaas server on the first.

-i deploy vRealize Automation appliance on the second

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You see that "Time Offset" and "Last Connected" portion of the wizard? Those numbers are bad, very bad. Check the management agent on the IaaS server and make sure it's started and running with your service account. Check your ESXi hosts to ensure the time is consistent and pointed at a common NTP server. Your VMs are likely getting their times from the underlying hypervisor. With an offset that large, things start to fail. Always use an NTP server with a vRA install.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so I'll integrate a ntp server to my architecture. For the time synchronization I manually changed the time of my Iaas server maybe that's the reason of the big time offset. Thank's for the advice, I'll give you my feedback ASAP.

Thank's for your interest.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello daphnissov​,

I finally set up a NTP server on my architecture. I use my Iaas server as a NTP server. The warning that i got early (There is network connectivity issue between ...) is gone.

I'm still waiting for the prerequiste Checker to finish. It's taking a while but as i get no warning or errors, i keep faith.

pastedImage_1.png

Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello daphnissov​,

I add a ntp server in my environment. And the time offset shown in the vRealize Automation installation wizard:pastedImage_6.png

When i go to the next step the warning (there is a network connectivity issue...) doesn't show up.  But the prerequisite checker step is taking too long and never show me the list of prerequisite in my Iaas server and when i skip, this is what I see:

pastedImage_1.png

The warning come back again so maybe the NTP server was not the solution (the time offset is pretty much good 3 sec). I spend almost 3 weeks with this issue, so i'm ready for any advices.

Thanks for your interest.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At this point you need to just start over with the installation. Delete your appliance and your Windows IaaS box and redeploy with correct times. Put them on the same host for an extra level of help until you complete the install.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All right, I was thinking about it. So i'll start over  my installation. There is also one thing i want to say about my vRealize Automation's deployment that i made early (maybe it's not so important): when i connect to my esx with vSphere Client i make all the steps perfectly (select the ova file,..., enter all the parameters: ip address, FQDN, DNS names, etc) but when i started the appliance none of my configuration was saved. Finally i start again the configuration directly in the appliance. I don't know the reason but i just want to get you informed.

Hope that my problem will be solved.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to be using vCenter Server to deploy the appliance. If you don't have vCenter in this environment, there's no point in installing vRA.

Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I already have vCenter in my environment.

Well, i'll use vCenter to deploy the vRealize Automation appliance.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello daphnissov​,

I put the Iaas server and vRealize Automation Appliance :pastedImage_1.png on the same host. But like I said early, you see the warning (There is a network connectivity issue ...) on the prerequisite checker step. and this step never show me the prerequisites on the Iaas server.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, you have something fundamentally wrong with your whole setup. Post the complete details of everything you have. Show DNS records, show IPs, show your network configuration, share everything you can. If you still can't make it past that phase in the wizard, which is the very beginning, then there's something very wrong with your environment and it's usually something basic.

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok!:smileyplain:

Main Infos about my architecture:

-We have 3 servers:

• 10.100.35.52 (60GB storage and 32 GB memory): there is one virtual machine (Ubuntu ). I use this virtual machine as my second ntp server. My first ntp server is time.windows.com.
  • 10.100.35.92 (60GB storage and 10GB memory): one virtual machine (Windows server 2012) with 35GB storage and 4Gb RAM. I install the vCenter server on that virtual  machine.
  • 10.100.35.53 (60GB storage and 32GbB memory): It contains 2 virtual machines, the server Iaas (25Gb storage and 4Gb RAM) and the vRealize Automation appliance

There is a another server 10.100.35.87 , but it is for another project.

-I use the domain name of my company: orange-sonatel.com;

-The records of the dns server:

pastedImage_6.png

10.100.55.80 (DNS server ip adress)

10.100.35.77 (vrealize-automation ip adress)

10.100.35.76 (vcenter-server ip adress)

10.100.35.78 (server-iaas ip adress)

-I add the server-iaas to the domain orange-sonatel.com

-I use Thin deployment method for the vRealize Automation appliance (version VMware-vR-Appliance-7.2.0.381-4660246_OVF10.ova )

0 Kudos
Mohamed_cloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

• My differents NTP servers: time.windows.com and 10.100.35.152 (ubuntu VM)
  • pastedImage_3.png screenshot of my vRealize Appliance.
  • pastedImage_0.png a screenshot of vCenter server
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Didn't need the info on your ESXi hosts, but that's ok.

• Go through the deployment of the vRA appliance from vCenter and screenshot the page with the OVF properties.
  • I don't see a MS SQL server in your list. You will require one for the IaaS components.
  • Ensure forward AND reverse DNS looks are working. The screenshot you posted only proves reverses are working.
  • Start with a fresh IaaS server. Post screenshots of the installation options you used for the IaaS Management Agent.
  • Once the vRA appliance is deployed and running, login to the VAMI and post screenshots of especially the networking portion.
  • The vRA appliance I see from your screenshot is not using the name that your DNS is reflecting. You must use vCenter to deploy and use the FQDN for the hostname.
  • Do not use time.windows.com. Use an internal NTP server. Make sure all ESXi hosts are pointed at a common NTP and the times are synchronized exactly.
  • On your IaaS server, bring it completely up to date with patches. You say it is 2012, do you mean 2012 R2?
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you please answer the rest of my questions?

• You need a separate SQL VM. That is not in your list. You must provision a new server and install SQL there (later step).
  • Your forward lookups are timing out but eventually returning a record. Please just double check with whomever manages your DNS that forward and reverse records are present and consistent. vRA, just like most other pieces of infra., rely upon working DNS to function.
  • In your OVF you must use the FQDN for the hostname, not the short name.
  • Domain search path should be orange-sonatel.com
  • Is your gateway truly a .100 address? That's what you put in the wizard.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VAMI is on port 5480, not from the appliance console.

0 Kudos