VMware Cloud Community
ducthanhnguyen8
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Orchestrator- Run Program in Guest fails with interactive session

I tried to use a default workflow to automate my software installation name: Run Program in Guest. With simple software not require interactive logon, it works perfectly. However, i have to automate a software and it requires to reboot server and follow by someone to login to complete the installation. I noticed the workflow has 1 options to select Interactive Logon but any time when i select this option, the workflow will fail with the error:

The guest operations agent could not be contacted. (Workflow:Run program in guest / Scriptable task (item1)#15

I am stuck here for a few weeks. Anyone has experience on this, please help me. Thanks so much in advance and apology for my poor English

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have vRA Enterprise licensed? If so, use software components instead. They have a switch which can automatically reboot for you after a given phase and continue with the next.

ducthanhnguyen8
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i will try. It automatically reboot the server during the installation but actually my issue is i need an interactive session to complete the installation.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Why do you need an interactive session to complete installation?

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

I am going to take a guess that the need for an interactive session has to do with getting an administrator prompt.  If this is the case then he might want to look at creating a scheduled task that will run as an administrator.  You can then schedule to task to run automatically after a reboot and script the reboot of the server.  Another option, if they do not have the enterprise license is to add the software installation directly to the blueprint using the custom properties

VirtualMachine.SoftwareN.Name

VirtualMachine.SoftwareN.ScriptPath

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos