Jump to solution

vRealize Business for cloud

Hello,

I need add cost for Tag (tag mapped to VM in vCenter):

1) I create (in Consumption \ Pricing \ Custom policies) my policy:

name "policyTest"

Infrastructure source: vCenter

Infrastructure type: Resource pool

Infrastructure selection: "my-resource-pool" (with my VM)

2) then all "Rates" (Compute, Storage) I select "0".

3) and than I add "Additional Charges":

Identification: "testCat" (my tag category in vCenter)

Tag Value: "testTag" (my tag mapped to VM in vCenter)

Calculation method: "Fixed($)"

Rate: "10"

4) and select status Activate

I think (but maybe i'am wrong) that rate it's cost in $ for this tag ("testTag") in vRB. I'am wrong?

In Reports in vRB I can't find my "policyTest".

How can I generate report with my policy "policyTest"?

Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How are you expecting it to show up in the reports?  As a fixed charge for the VMs that have been tagged, i.e. in the Showback report?

I believe the one-time charges happen only once after the VM has been created (makes sense, you don't want to double charge VMs over and over long after they were created).  If the VM was pre-existing in the system before the policy got made, the charge will not get levied against the resource.

You also need to recompute pricing data any time you make a change.  By default, it'll update daily and will only apply moving forward, but if you're modifying something that needs to be retroactive, you can click the Re-calculate link at the top of the policy editing page:

pastedImage_0.png

Then you can select a date to go back in time, and the system will go back and retroactively re-calculate pricing for all days in the periodyou selected.  Your already computed pricing for those days will get deleted and replaced, so be careful with this option.

Once you re-calculate, the pricing data should show up in showback:

pastedImage_1.png

I applied a tag to 3 of those VMs according to your example, and set the CPU daily price to $900, then recalculated pricing a few days in the past and the price went up several thousand dollars.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How are you expecting it to show up in the reports?  As a fixed charge for the VMs that have been tagged, i.e. in the Showback report?

I believe the one-time charges happen only once after the VM has been created (makes sense, you don't want to double charge VMs over and over long after they were created).  If the VM was pre-existing in the system before the policy got made, the charge will not get levied against the resource.

You also need to recompute pricing data any time you make a change.  By default, it'll update daily and will only apply moving forward, but if you're modifying something that needs to be retroactive, you can click the Re-calculate link at the top of the policy editing page:

pastedImage_0.png

Then you can select a date to go back in time, and the system will go back and retroactively re-calculate pricing for all days in the periodyou selected.  Your already computed pricing for those days will get deleted and replaced, so be careful with this option.

Once you re-calculate, the pricing data should show up in showback:

pastedImage_1.png

I applied a tag to 3 of those VMs according to your example, and set the CPU daily price to $900, then recalculated pricing a few days in the past and the price went up several thousand dollars.

Archie13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. I will be try it...

After re-calculate (and select today date) all pricing data before today will be cleared?

0 Kudos
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No, it will overwrite the pricing data from the period you select.  So if you say re-calculate and choose to go back to November 1, 2017, it will overwrite the data from November 1 - today's date (but not including today), replacing it with pricing data recalculated according to the policies defined in the consumption/pricing section.  Everything prior to that remains as it was.  It all depends on how far you go back with the re-calculate operation.

pastedImage_0.png

If I were to recalculate according to the screenshot above, the system would erase the data from yesterday and replace it with re-calculated data for yesterday only.

In other words, the system defines a period from the date you select to the date before today and recalculates pricing data for that period only.

Archie13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah! It works!

I select 3 tags with cost:

pastedImage_0.png

re-calculate (on today date)

and then see in report:

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for help!!!

Only in Additional charges (Calculation method) I can't select cost per month, only one fee, fixed (everyday), or %.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Business/7.1/com.vmware.vRBforCloud.user.doc/GUID-1F343CC8-7C3E-...

Do you know maybe how calculate Rate (in additional charges) per month?

0 Kudos