VMware Cloud Community
wgmaurerEMC
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Automation machine life cycle assest record management

I have a two part question:

1. When a machine is destroyed from vRA what happens to the database record?  I'm thinking since vRA is not a true CMDB that you would have to leverage a WF stub to call an external CMDB to provide complete life cycle tracking but I want to confirm if my assumption is correct.  Can someone please assist?  

2. Is there any way to insure vRA never reuses a virtual machine name once it is provisioned?  According to the documentation once the machine prefix reaches the end of it's numbering it will restart from the beginning and use that name unless it's already in use.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Question 1 --> Answer

When the machine is destroyed from the vRealize Automation portal by the user: The same previously created CMDB CI record is not deleted but instead its “State” property is now updated to say “Retired” instead of the previously “On” state. This way, we still have a record of the deleted machine in the CMDB while the “State” property is telling us if the machine exist or not.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
wgmaurerEMC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Umesh for the reply.  When you state the CMDB CI record are you referring to the configuration item in the SQL database that is used by the vRA IaaS server and not the vRA vFabric Postgres database?  I just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly that this is the process with a standard vRA installation.

0 Kudos