VMware Cloud Community
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize Automation Server Creation Slow.

I am able to create my servers from vRealize Automation but the servers in vCenter are being created very slow. If I create a server directly in vCenter it creates it very fast. The servers are being created on the same subnetwork that the vCenter exists on so there shouldn't be any bottlenecks between networks.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

When you say

If I create a server directly in vCenter it creates it very fast.

are you referring to manually cloning a template to a VM? If so, is vRA using the same template? The resulting VM from vRA, what disk format type is it using? The issue that comes to mind is if you (manually) perform a deploy from template using thin and vRA is doing its deployment specifying thick eager zero. Would need to know more about how you have things set up in your blueprint.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I am referring to manually deploying a vm from the same template in vCenter that vRealize Automation is using. The template is using Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed. The template is using the same settings that my blueprint is using.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

And when vRA clones from the same template, is the resulting VM the same type or is it thick eager zeroed?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When vRA clones from the same template, the resulting VM is the same type (thick provision lasy zeroed).

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then the process should be the same speed. vRA is calling out to vCenter's API which is basically what you're doing when you use the various clients. Are you saying the *clone* speed is different or that the entire provisioning process in vRA is slower (i.e., comparing provisioning in vRA to a simple right-click and clone task in vCenter)?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The time it takes vCenter to create the machine, and add it to the domain from when I hit the "Request" button in vrealize automation is extremely slow. It takes about 20 minutes for it to complete from when I hit "Request" button.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I guess what I'm asking is, what are you measuring when comparing the vCenter method to the vRA method?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am comparing the time it takes for the vm to be created from when I hit the "Request" button in vRA as opposed to the time it takes for a vm to be created from vCenter when I right click the template and hit new vm from this template and when it is created, adding it to the domain.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How much time difference are we talking?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So in vCenter when I create the vm from a template and then add it to the domain it takes 10 minutes. When I create the vm from vRA and it adds it to the domain, it takes about 30 minutes.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How are you adding the machine to the domain? Using a customization spec or adding it manually?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I am adding the machine to the domain in vRA, I am referencing a custom template that I created in vCenter. When I add a vm to the domain from vCenter, I am adding it to the domain manually.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So vRA is using a different template from the one you use when you manually deploy inside of vCenter?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No vRA is using the exact same template. pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, so more information here.

1. You're doing a linked clone in vRA which isn't something you're doing within vCenter. Rather than leave the "Clone from snapshot" as use current snapshot, specify the precise snapshot you wish to use. In the past, this has not worked properly and may not do so reliably in 7.3.
  2. In your customization spec that you're declaring, does it join the machine to the domain? What I mean is, a) is it configured in the spec and; b) does it actually work?
0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. I will specifiy the snapshot to use.

2. I have it configured to join the domain in the custom spec I created, and yes it worked when it created the vm in vRA.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the difference between linked clone and clone?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So with Linked clone, I can only use clones that have snapshots? Full clone I can use the parent clone?

0 Kudos