VMware Cloud Community
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRealize Automation 7.3 Installation Fails

I am using the wizard to install vRealize Automation 7.3. When I run the installation the installation fails at 12% at "verify all services are running". I tried multiple things but no luck. Any advice on how to get past the "verify all service are running" portion of the installation? So I am using a distributed installation. 2 vRealize appliances (behind a NSX load balancer), 1 web IaaS Server (running website and model manager data service), 1 DEM server (running DEM Orchestrator Service and Manager Server Service) and 1 Agent Server (RunningAgent Service). I don't think it has to do with settings also because all servers are DNS resolvable and have network connectivity to one another. It fails at "verify all services are running" at the VA role (virtual appliance). I look at details and it says "Health Check Failed". I check the health and saw this error:

errors>

<error code="10114">

<message>Service Unavailable.</message>

<systemMessage>

The service shell-ui-app was not able to register the service information with the Component Registry service! This might cause other dependent services to fail. Error Message: Retriable operation failed after the maximum number of attempts - [200]. OperationDetails 'Registering [shell-ui-app] service into Component Registry'

</systemMessage>

</error>

</errors>

0 Kudos
77 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Show your source template and complete blueprint configuration, please.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got the blueprints working. I am creating a vm in vCenter and when it is finished creating, I am not seeing it being assigned an IP address from my network profile. See below for screenshots:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Because you've told your blueprint the network type is DHCP and not Static. Also, for static IP assignment to work, you must use a customization spec within vCenter. In that regard, select the option to use standard settings and not the manual option.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So assigning it to static in the blueprint will tell the vm to pull an IP address from the network pool in my network profile? How do I get it to use one of the addresses from the network profile? And also, what is a customization spec in vCenter?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, when you have a network profile with a pool of IPs, setting it to static will cause it to pull one from the profile you've assigned in the reservation.

Creating and Managing Customization Specifications

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is a customization spec used for in vCenter? I've never used this feature so I don't understand.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Customization specs are used to customize a guest OS when deploying from a template or existing virtual machine. For Windows, it triggers sysprep and passes any custom values such as license key, scripts, and networking properties. Customization specs are required when using vRA.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So if I create a new vm blueprint from vRA based a Windows template created in vCenter. I have to have custom specs to tell vRA how to use the template when created the vm in vCenter?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also, when you create the customization spec in vCenter, when you submit the request in vRA and the machine is being created in vCenter, does vRA compare the newly created vm to the custom spec in vCenter in order to make sure the setting are valid?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have to have custom specs to tell vRA how to use the template when created the vm in vCenter?

It's for vRA to tell the VM how it should be configured based on what was selected.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There's no comparison that takes place. vRA creates a payload of properties and settings that are pushed to the VM through use of a customization spec. It's how the deployed VM gets its identity.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the blueprint specs in vRA have to match the custom specs created in vCenter?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, there is no matching. The customization spec is a vehicle for the configuration created by vRA. Settings -> Customization Spec -> VM.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the customization spec created in vCenter is used more for, putting the device on the domain and assigning the license key?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And networking, and hostname, and other parameters which you'll find in the customization spec itself. If you read the documentation and create one, this is all explained there.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the weirdest thing happened. I created a custom spec in vCenter. Added the custom spec to my blueprint and created a vm from vrealize. The vm created in vCenter successfully and it got added to the domain and obtained an IP address. Today I went to create another vm with a custom hostname that I set, now the vm is not getting the specs and is not getting an IP address. I deleted the custom hostname field from my blueprint, and recreated the custom spec in vcenter. Performed a data collection in computer resources in vrealize automation. Re-added the custom spec to my blueprint and created a vm. The vm is still not getting an IP address and it is not getting added to the domain. I have the networking profile set to static in my blueprint and in the custom spec in vCenter I have the ip address set to use standard networking. I also added the domain of Home.lan and an appropriate username and password to allow the vm to join domain upon creation. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since this thread has long since passed the installation failure problem under which it was originally opened, would you mind marking it answered and opening up a new one? This level of organization helps to keep messages sorted and useful for people that find them via searches later.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I marked as correct answer. I am making a new thread called "vRA custom specs not working" Please post in this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos