VMware Cloud Community
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vRO8 customProperty based on vRA8 custom form exists but is empty

I must be missing something, but can't find it...

In a vRA 8.2 Service Broker content Custom Form, I have a field "my_serverFunction".
During the request, this has a dropdown selection based on a vRO action and is filled with one string (for instance "TEST").

Then in de Cloud Assembly Extensibility, I have a subscription on Event Topic "Compute allocation", that calls a vRO workflow.
This workflow has some debugging code to show all properties from the inputProperties and the customProperties.

Inside the customProperties, there is a string called "my_serverFunction" but instead of value "TEST" this is empty.

Many other customProperties, from the cloud template, are filled with both key and value.
(for instance I have a "my_osType" in the cloud template set to "Linux" and that is passed correctly.
So (why) the property is passed but the value is empty?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assign your input as a custom property to your VM:

resources:
  myVM:
    type: Cloud.vSphere.Machine
    properties:
      my_serverFunction: '${input.my_serverFunction}'

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is the my_serverFunction field on the form the same as the one from the cloud template?  Maybe the one on the form was created first and then it was added to the cloud template, and in that case they wouldn't really be "tied" together?  Also maybe check to make sure you are referencing that input correctly under the properties in the cloud template.

And in case it could be the code somehow, you should also be able to inspect inputProperties from the variables tab of your workflow run in vro...just to verify it's empty there too.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assign your input as a custom property to your VM:

resources:
  myVM:
    type: Cloud.vSphere.Machine
    properties:
      my_serverFunction: '${input.my_serverFunction}'

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, that is what I missed.

I am using 8.2p1 and migrated this blueprint from 7.6.
The blueprint with it's custom form contained all fields, including selections for cpu, mem, and also those my_serverFunction and more.
During the migration, the cpu and mem became inputs and properties with the '{input.xxx}' part, but the my_serverFunction was migrated as just a property without an input.

Strange that cpu and mem migrated correctly and my_serverFunction did not.
(but then, more strange things happen during the migration)

0 Kudos