VMware Cloud Community
partofaplan85
Contributor
Contributor

vRO 7.5.x Need option to assign SCSI controller to disk

I know lots of people have asked a similar question, but I haven't figured out the best way to do this with our current setup.

We currently use a Clone workflow that takes a template in vCenter and then configures the VM based on that template. We want to be able to add up to six disks on 4 separate paravirtual SCSI controllers. The controllers are baked into the VM template, so the problem isn't creating the controllers. The problem is how do I get the integer into a variable which can be read by vRA and then used to direct the disk to be added to the correct controller.

Right now, when you want to add an additional disk, we ask for a disk label, disk capacity, and disk letter. Each of those properties is loaded as a custom property for each disk (disk1label, disk1size, etc.). I would like to be able to just add a property for "disk1controller" etc, and then have that translated to be the "VirtualMachine.Disk[*].DeviceID" in the machine payload. Is this possible?

I've attached the specific workflow we're working in.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you get any solution to this issue? We have a similar situation and looking for some help.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If this template always need to have the same disks you should modify it to keep it simple.

If this is going to be dynamic, please take a look at this: Add Disk and New SCSI Adapater - Samples - VMware {code}

0 Kudos
Ludicrous09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had to create a custom workflow for this, and we published it as an action on the VM"s that need this.  In our case SQL boxes.  Basicly all it does is find all the PVSCSI adapters on the vm and what adapter number it is and when you run the action it auto assigns it to one of the PVSCI adapters at random.
0 Kudos