VMware Cloud Community
fushun0912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA8 Day 2 action "shutdown"

Hello.
This is related to vRA8.x, but when I run the Day2 action "shutdown", it behaves strangely that "shutdown" and "poweroff" are executed at the same time, is this a specification?

The VMware Tools of the target virtual machine is working, and it is possible to perform shutdown from the normal GUI.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcethz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Stumbled upon this too a few weeks ago. In vRA „power off“ and „shutdown“ are the opposite of what they mean in vCenter terms. When you choose „shut down“ it actually powers off the VM immediatly , whereas „power off“ means a graceful shutdown. Try it and observe vCenter while doing so.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcethz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Stumbled upon this too a few weeks ago. In vRA „power off“ and „shutdown“ are the opposite of what they mean in vCenter terms. When you choose „shut down“ it actually powers off the VM immediatly , whereas „power off“ means a graceful shutdown. Try it and observe vCenter while doing so.

fushun0912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's certainly the way it works.
But then I would conclude that there is no action to do "Power Off" and that would be a problem.

I tried the same behavior with 8.4.1 on hans on labs, but the "shutdown" action here seems to be a normal shutdown. The "poweroff" action was still a shutdown.

I would like to consider including development with vRO if necessary.

Thanks!

0 Kudos