VMware Cloud Community
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vRA8 ABX Powershell add Module dnsserver

I currently use vRA7 powerhell on a separate Windows VM to manage Microsoft tasks such as AD-DNS.
With vRA 8, it is possible to run Powershell as ABX action, and also to import modules via a zip file.

I am not allowed to use downloadable modules (e.g. from the PSGallery).
However, dnsserver is a PS Module that can be installed in Windows Server as a Windows Feature, so without internet access.
So I took the c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\modules\dnsserver folder and added it into the modules folder of a zip that also contains the handler.ps1 file.

This nearly worked, but I guess the resulting error comes from the module that is not compatible with vRA:

Action 'test' in module 'com.vmware.library.powershell' failed : Wrapped ch.dunes.scripting.server.polyglot.PolyglotRunnerException: Exception calling "ProcessRecord" with "1" argument(s): "The method or operation is not implemented."

ERROR Exception calling "ProcessRecord" with "1" argument(s): "The method or operation is not implemented."
ERROR Exception calling "ProcessRecord" with "1" argument(s): "The method or operation is not implemented."
ERROR At line:3977 char:7
ERROR + $__cmdletization_objectModelWrapper.ProcessRecord($__cmdletizat ...
ERROR + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ERROR + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
ERROR + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NotImplementedException

Anyone any idea?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
caduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @jimmyvandermast ,
I, too, am new to vRA 8, but so far this is what I have found.

ABX powershell seems limited to PowerCLI out of the box, so to speak. Though I have read references to importing modules. I use the powercli capability and it works well. For other powershell tasks, I have decided to use a powershell host as I did in 7.6. We are still building out our vRA 8 environment, but in early testing this approach works well.

Here are some references that I have used:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Orchestrator/8.4/com.vmware.vrealize.orchestrator-use-plugins.do...

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Orchestrator/8.4/com.vmware.vrealize.orchestrator-use-plugins.do... (Note: For the krb5.conf file, following the format exactly, including case.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@caduncan it is possible to use imported PS Modules, only this specific module is not working with linux as @xian_  just explained.

0 Kudos