VMware Cloud Community
edgartan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA unique VM name and folder name

Hello people,

Just wanted to ask how anyone would approach adding UUIDs to VM name and folder name(like in vcloud director). We could do it in vro but how would anyone do it in vrealize?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd look at some online samples of random string generators and modify them to your liking, then I'd wrap some code around that and use the EBS to set that as the hostname. From there, it's a custom property which you can pick up and do anything else you want. Could make it really simple with a combination of SovLabs custom naming and property toolkit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which UUID do you mean here? Are you asking about generating your own and using that as the VM name? Something else?

0 Kudos
edgartan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Was actually referring to generating something else, but basically how would any go about appending that UUID from vRA.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd look at some online samples of random string generators and modify them to your liking, then I'd wrap some code around that and use the EBS to set that as the hostname. From there, it's a custom property which you can pick up and do anything else you want. Could make it really simple with a combination of SovLabs custom naming and property toolkit.

0 Kudos