VMware Cloud Community
caledfwlch
Contributor
Contributor

vRA New Reservation - Resources are not showing (Memory and Storage)

Hi Community,

I am currently deploying vRA on a lab environment, I am using vCSA as vCenter, Windows 2012 R2 AD/DS, Windows 2012 R2 and SQL server 2012 database, vRA and Identity Appliance, I configured vSAN, I have added my LUN's from my SAN, I already configured my tenants, added Vcenter compute resources to my vCenter, but when I am configuring reservations, I am unable to see them on the resource tab, it says "no data to display"

Please let me know if anyone had this issue before.

Thanks,

Screenshot attached.

8 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

I typically see this when the collection data hasn't fully populated into the DB. Give it five minutes or so, run the collection again and let me know if you still see the same thing.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Goto Infrastructure Tab --> Fabric Group and make sure the compute resources are selected before you can create a reservation

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Good point Steve. Do that before what I've said. My recommendation assumes that you could see the Compute Resource on the initial page of the Reservation.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
caledfwlch
Contributor
Contributor

Grant/Steve,

Thank you for replying, I can see the compute resources, which I selected, but when I go to reservation there is nothing there, one thing that I have to mention to you is that I had a little problem with the compute resources, I am using the an IAAS service account to run the IAAS installation, but I am using an administrator account for the configuration, when I configure the Compute Resources, I was unable to see the compute resources, I had to make the service account an administrator for the domain and vcenter and then I was able to see the compute resources, but now when I go to set my reservations, I can not see any resources, if you can assist me troubleshooting this, I'll greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SkyCoop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you configured your vCenter endpoint, did you provide credentials that had been granted the administrator role and the vCenter level?

You might check the logs for your agent to see if there are any issues C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\vCAC\Agents\<AGENT NAME>\Logs\

Are any of the hosts in maintenance mode? Datastores / networking are presented to all hosts in the cluster?

HussainAlfaraj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, Fabric Group set correctly, endpoints added with admin acct (same acct used to installed and configured everything) - even I tried different accounts etc but still when I go to Reservations I can see my (vSphere - vCenter) cluster lists in "Compute resource" (under "Reservation Information" tab) but it shows "0" values for everything when I go to "Resources" tab, no Storage listed either.

Any helps will be appreciated guys?

Cheers

0 Kudos
mteofrio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The biggest thing I have noticed is vRA is touchy with names. If you have another cluster on another datacenter with the same names it will not read in the resources. When I changed some names of the resources it fixed that issue.

The issue I have ran into now is that I have 10 clusters everything comes in except one of the clusters, I can see the local storage but the shared Fiber Channel storage. The other clusters, everything is fine. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
eoc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've had the same problem, I am using vRA 6.2,  vSphere and vCenter (vCSA) 6.0 in my environment. This blog helped me to understand what was going on. http://www.storagegumbo.com/2014/09/using-cloned-vm-as-sql-server-gotcha.html . But in my case the real solution was in a comments session like you can see below:

"...

AnonymousDecember 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Hi John. Great post! I wanted to add another datapoint. I am using vRealize Automation 6.2 in a vCenter 5.5 environment. My SQL 2012 server runs on Windows 2012 R2. My IaaS box is on Windows 2012 R2 as well and both are VMs. They were both installed directly from a DVD, as apposed to being cloned or provisioned from a template, and exhibit the same error as you outlined in the article. Applying the MSDTC to both IaaS and SQL servers, restarting the MSDTC services, and restarting the vRA services on the IaaS VM fixed my issue. Thanks a million!

..."

After that I found a VMware KB saying the same thing.  VMware KB: Provisioning a machine using VMware vRealize Automation fails with the error: Error execu...

Good luck!

0 Kudos