VMware Cloud Community
vpaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA Dropdown Default Value

Does anyone know of a way to set the default value in a dropdown in vRA 7?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vpaw​, would you please try this out?

Step 1: Create property definition which will be populated by a vRO action

Step 2: Create a property group - under the properties include the property definition you created in step 1 and add the value you want to be the default on the drop down.

Please note that the default value you will set must be the same as one of the values generated from the vRO action.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not in ASD/XaaS forms, right?  Because it is easy to there...

In IaaS, I haven't had any luck with this.

0 Kudos
vpaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct, not in XaaS.  I would go that route if we could but the AWS blueprint doesn't expose all its properties so we haven't yet been able to put an XaaS wrapper around it.

0 Kudos
darrenoid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello vpaw,

We have a property definition for a dropdown with a name of "ouString" with several values. Then we have a property group where we include the custom property "ouString" with one of those values populated. We attach the property group to the blueprint. That becomes the default value on the request page.

Regards,

Darrenoid

0 Kudos
vpaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi darrenoid,

I did throw together a quick test similar to what you explained and that only works when you provide a static list in the Property Definition.  That's a good option to know about!  Seems that doesn't work when using a vRO action to populate it, at least not that I've seen yet. Unfortunately that's how we're using it today.

0 Kudos
bsnvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can set the default value in the Property Groups of the custom properties.

0 Kudos
SasPre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vpaw,

Hope you're looking for something similar to the attachment data.

Thanks,

Sasi

0 Kudos
vpaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The attached just explains the basics of how to populate a drop down in vRA. My question was more about how to set default values when vRO Actions were populating the drop down.

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vpaw​, would you please try this out?

Step 1: Create property definition which will be populated by a vRO action

Step 2: Create a property group - under the properties include the property definition you created in step 1 and add the value you want to be the default on the drop down.

Please note that the default value you will set must be the same as one of the values generated from the vRO action.

0 Kudos
vpaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi nsajepi​, I'll mark your reply as the correct answer as it does help me on the direction I'm heading.  My follow up question though really wasn't well articulated in my original question which is my fault.  I think I've since learned that what i'm exactly looking for isn't possible as of 7.3.  Thanks for the info though, what you explained worked as you said.

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vpaw​, I am very glad to hear that.

0 Kudos