VMware Cloud Community
Christiankkcc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA DNS Alias not working

Hi all,

I'm trying to have vRA use the alias "vra-test" instead of the actual appliance FQDN. However, this doesn't seem work work and I receive a 404. DNS entries are pretty simple and I've done everything correctly on that side.
Lifecycle Manager and Workspace One are able to utilize their aliases with no problem.
There are no firewalls or any other security appliances hindering this connection.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Christiankkcc_1-1619621908310.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
caduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Christian,
Is the vRA 8? We ecnountered the same problem, and this is what I found. Note, I am new to vRA 8, so there may be better answers available.

Based on observation and reading, the domain name is viewed as a tenant. Therefore, an alias will not work because there is no tenant by that name.

Therefore, for our single dev instance, we have to use the host name. For production, we use a load balancer. In that case, we have a redirect that sends traffic from the alias to the actual tenant (domain) name. This works well for us. Also, be sure to include all Subject Alternative Names in your certificates.

Make sense? Hope that sheds some light on the issue.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
caduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Christian,
Is the vRA 8? We ecnountered the same problem, and this is what I found. Note, I am new to vRA 8, so there may be better answers available.

Based on observation and reading, the domain name is viewed as a tenant. Therefore, an alias will not work because there is no tenant by that name.

Therefore, for our single dev instance, we have to use the host name. For production, we use a load balancer. In that case, we have a redirect that sends traffic from the alias to the actual tenant (domain) name. This works well for us. Also, be sure to include all Subject Alternative Names in your certificates.

Make sense? Hope that sheds some light on the issue.