VMware Cloud Community
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vRA - Custom Property doubt

I am having this doubt. I know that this policy VirtualMachine.Admin.HostSelectionPolicy can be used to specify in which host the VM will be deployed.

Can you add more than one host as value for example separed with commas? "esxi-01,esxi-02"

I have seen an article where somebody resolves this using the same A record pointing to different IPs of different ESXi. But this cannot be used because in case one of the ESXi is down the request will fail.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I figured it would be something like this. What I'd recommend--and which is actually way simpler and far more expansive--is to look at the DRS module from SovLabs. Because this really sounds like a DRS use case and not a vRA custom property use case, and since it's a vMSC you need DRS rules anyhow (and probably already have them in place) this would fit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So let me ask this:  Why do you want to use that option to begin with?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My scenario is that i have Site A and Site B by business rule, Site A will be the production enviroment and Site B will be development environment. This is a Metro Cluster and cannot be changed.

Single cluster with 2 ESXi on both sites and will be expanded to more in the future.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I figured it would be something like this. What I'd recommend--and which is actually way simpler and far more expansive--is to look at the DRS module from SovLabs. Because this really sounds like a DRS use case and not a vRA custom property use case, and since it's a vMSC you need DRS rules anyhow (and probably already have them in place) this would fit.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It sounds to me like what you need are reservation policies.  You can manage within a cluster with drs rules but if you are trying to direct deployments between clusters a simple policy will do it.

0 Kudos