VMware Cloud Community
vmsiul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 8.x - Looking for a way to extend maximum lease

We are looking for some feedback about the following on vRA 8.x.  We have some situations where the maximum total lease is reached and the VM goes into grace period and the user is unable to extend the lease any more. In some situations, we find that we need to extend the lease further because they have business reason for it.

1. Would it be possible to configure a way for the users to extend the lease beyond the maximum total lease (when reached) with some  sort of approval? Something similar to what we can do with approval policies where an approver will get a request to approve etc. 

2. If that’s not an option, what would be the simplest way to extend the maximum lease for a VM that’s reached the max lease and will be  moved to Grace Period for deletion? 

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if it's possible or a good option, but could you cancel the lease and then recreate it?  I think if you wrap that up in a custom day-2 action for the deployment, then you can probably tie an approval process to it too?  I'm just not sure if canceling remains an option once the grace period hits?

We only use leases for our server retirement process and allow our users to cancel it if the server should no longer be retired (happens occasionally).  And we do handle that as a day-2 utilizing the API, as opposed to just giving them access to the built-in action.  We may have other things to do as part of the process, so we would prefer to control it ourselves with a vRO workflow.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm not sure if it's possible or a good option, but could you cancel the lease and then recreate it?  I think if you wrap that up in a custom day-2 action for the deployment, then you can probably tie an approval process to it too?  I'm just not sure if canceling remains an option once the grace period hits?

We only use leases for our server retirement process and allow our users to cancel it if the server should no longer be retired (happens occasionally).  And we do handle that as a day-2 utilizing the API, as opposed to just giving them access to the built-in action.  We may have other things to do as part of the process, so we would prefer to control it ourselves with a vRO workflow.