VMware Cloud Community
maslow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8 AD Integration: Move computer object from initial built OUT to final OU, but delete doesnt wor

Hi,

we would like to do the following with vRA 8:

- Create AD computer object via AD integration in a special building OU, where no GPOs are set to, so we can install the VM here

- Move the AD computer object with a custom vRO workflow to its final OU

- During delete, the AD integration should remove the AD computer object

Problem is, once the computer object was moved, the AD integration fails to delete the object. The user being used has all permissions, but it seems that the AD integration tries to delete the AD computer object with its initial path from the building OU 😞

Any ideas on this or will the only possibility be doing it all on ourselves with custom WFs rather then being able to use the built in feature?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
maslow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I didnt find a solution for this and it seems by design, that the AD integration always works with the initial OU the VM was created in, we worked around this by writing three workflows on our own:

- Create AD Computer object in OU

- Move AD Computer object to OU

- Delete AD Computer object

Actually, within this WFs we are just calling parameterized powershell scripts that do all the magic ...

0 Kudos
dgerol3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi maslow,

I'm struggling with exactly the same issue - it was so much easier with vRA 7.x!

Is there any way you can share the scritps/export vRO workflow you are using? How are you putting it all together - with an event subscription? 

Cheers,

Dennis

0 Kudos
maslow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

currently I am working with three event subscriptions. As we have different tenants on the vRA installation, we are using a customer management VM per customer. This mgmt VM is booked in to the customer's AD, enabling us to run simple but efficient powershell scripts for all kinds of needs. The scripts are being executed by a workflow called "Run program in Windows guest" that accesses the VM via its VMware tools:

- Create AD computer object with OU in network.configure, as there is yet no VM deployed, but you could also use compute.provision.pre I think

This is a workflow that gets called and pulls the name of the VM and a custom property containing the installation OU. Then it generates the powershell script call and executes it on the mgmt VM

- Move AD computer object to OU in compute.post.provision with a high priority number, so all other event subscriptions are already done

Same workflow as above, only the called script is different

- Delete AD computer object in compute.removal.post

Same workflow as above, only the called script is different.

Once I am back at the company I should be able to create a package with those workflows.

0 Kudos