VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vRA 8.5 default value from vRO action. Can we pass in cloud template name or id?

I'm trying to use the new feature that allows for the cloud templates to use vRO actions for the input defaults and pick lists.  What I'd like to do is pass in the cloud template name, or ID, or some custom property or property group value.  It looks like the only options to pass into the action are either some statically defined value or one of the other inputs.  It also looks like you are limited to using a string as the input type as those are the only field types that show as available to bind.  I can totally work with this as is right now but if I am missing someway to do any of the above I'd appreciate the pro tip!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert

I can select the Catalog item name as action input:

xian__0-1632495199806.png

xian__1-1632495220789.png

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I should have mentioned I was trying to do this from the cloud template it looks like another spot where I have to use a custom form feature.  I am trying to keep as much of this in the cloud template as possible but maybe the better strategy is to do less in the template and more in the custom forms?

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert

That depends upon if you want to allow your provision request to be submitted via a REST call to vRA as the REST call  is to cloud assembly, not service broker (thus no form processing).

Carl L.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Kind of lost me there... at this point everything I am working on is intended for interactive use. Either way though it would not be really be processing the form to set the value in a cloud template as it is a default so the cloud template is known at the time of instantiation.

0 Kudos