VMware Cloud Community
DizzyMurloc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 8.3 small deployment with multi-tenancy scale out to large deployment

Hi,

I've deployed a vRA 8.3 small deployment with multi-tenancy enabled. I've also created two more tenants besides the default tenant. It's possible to scale out the infrastructure to a large deployment? How can i do with the created tenants? will be automatically migrated with the new domain names ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My quick thought, the tenant DNS records that now point directly to your single vRA and single vIDM needs to be changed so that they point to the LBs that you create in front of the vRA cluster and the vIDM cluster.

So in your case, something like:

default.vmware.com, tenant-1.vmware.com, tenant-2.vmware.com  point to vidmlb.vmware.com

tenant-1.vra.vmware.com, tenant-2.vra.vmware.com point to vralb.vmware.com

LCM does not change your DNS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That will work as long as you keep the DNS records for the tenants.

If the tenant related DNS records currently point to the single vRA VA, you should change that to point them to the loadbalancer (the one that you need in front of the 3 vRA VA's).

Also think about the vIDM scale. You probably want to scale vIDM to 3 appliances (with a loadbalancer) too.
If you do so, you'll also need to modify the Identity Provider settings.

0 Kudos
DizzyMurloc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jimmy,

So, for example, i've this vRA small deployment:

• 1 x vLCM vlcm.vmware.com
  • 1 x vIDM vidm1.vmware.com with tenants: default.vmware.com, tenant-1.vmware.com, tenant-2.vmware.com
  • 1 x  vRA vra1.vmware.com with tenants: tenant-1.vra.vmware.com, tenant-2.vra.vmware.com

And i want to deploy a large deployment like this:

• 1 x vLCM vlcm.vmware.com
  • 1 x vIDM LB vidmlb.vmware.com
  • 3 x vIDM vidm1.vmware.com, vidm2.vmware.com and vidm3.vmware.com
  • 1 x vRA LB vralb.vmware.com
  • 3 x vRA vra1.vmware.com, vra2.vmware.com and vra3.vmware.com

If i'm not wrong, vIDM tenants (default.vmware.com, tenant-1.vmware.com, tenant-2.vmware.com) must point to vIDM load balancer IP.

But i dont know how to do with the vRA created tenants, because the new tenants names must be tenant-1.vralb.vmware.com and tenant-2.vralb.vmware.com instead of  tenant-1.vra.vmware.com and tenant-2.vra.vmware.com. Of course, tenants now must to point to the vRA load balancer name.

My question is, when you scale out vRA through vLCM this tenant name conversion will be done automatically? or i've to recreate the tenants as new ones?

I hope I have explained myself well

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My quick thought, the tenant DNS records that now point directly to your single vRA and single vIDM needs to be changed so that they point to the LBs that you create in front of the vRA cluster and the vIDM cluster.

So in your case, something like:

default.vmware.com, tenant-1.vmware.com, tenant-2.vmware.com  point to vidmlb.vmware.com

tenant-1.vra.vmware.com, tenant-2.vra.vmware.com point to vralb.vmware.com

LCM does not change your DNS.

0 Kudos
DizzyMurloc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jimmy,

So, the "old" vRA tenant names tenant-1.vra.vmware.com and tenant-2.vra.vmware.com still be valid, the only thing i would have to do is to change the DNS CNAME records?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, change the tenant DNS records so that they point to the loadbalancer.