VMware Cloud Community
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

vRA 8.3 - Deployment Update fails on network selection

I'm currently deploying VMs on vSphere into 3 NSX-T Segments. All 3 Networks are tagged in vRA. The template has a drop-down field where a user selects a friendly name and during deployment the correct segment is chosen for network placement.

After the deployment is finished, I want to change the network assignment of the VM, with the goal of migrating it to another NSX-T segment, so I choose "Update" on the deployment and select another network from the drop-down.

This task fails with the error:

Operation: [Update.Network]: Failed to find subnet matching the requirement: [[{"tag":"network:netA"}]]

Like I said above, the initial deployment into each of the 3 networks works fine. I assume the "subnet" in the error message refers to the Network resource in vRA, which is tagged correctly, or the deplyoment itself would fails I assume? Or is there a "subnet" network type that I have somehow missed?

Edit:

I've also read the guide for this scenario: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.3/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-1174636D-B...

The relevant inputs look like this:

inputs:
netPlacement:
type: string
title: Network Placement
oneOf:
- title: Net Tenant A
const: 'network:netA'
- title: Net Tenant B
- title: Net Tenant C
resources:
Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:
type: Cloud.vSphere.Machine
properties:
networks:
- network: '${resource.Cloud_NSX_Network_1.id}'
constraints:
- tag: 'cloudZone:local-vCenter'
Cloud_NSX_Network_1:
type: Cloud.NSX.Network
properties:
networkType: existing
constraints:
- tag: '${input.netPlacement}'
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

Just tried it again and it does work when provisioning vms in an existing network that is part of the same network profile (as per documentation). Switching from one provisioned network to another, even without defining a T0-Router does not work however, no idea why this restriction is in place; even when provisioning an on-demand network, I would like to be able to switch to another profile, for example if I want to place the VM in another VRF (another T0 router).

I've also set "recreateOnUpdate: true" on the network resource, in hope that It will just delete the existing resource and recreate a new one compatible with the new constraints, but I run into the same issue and the network resource was not recreated.

So when using existing networks, the only way to give users the option to switch the network assignment would be to group all networks under one profile. If using on-demand networks, you can set only one T0 router per profile, so switching is not possible.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
fcampuzanovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello I had the same problem.

I solved it by leaving all the networks in the same vRA network profile and it works perfect.

the tag in the network profiles was removed, and only leave the tags in the networks that are linked to the network profile.

"The vRealize Automation Cloud Assembly network profile must include all subnets that the machine will connect to"

How to move a deployed machine to another network

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.4/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-1174636D-B...

0 Kudos