VMware Cloud Community
NateApex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 8.1 Blueprint Inputs Question

I have a simple blueprint that takes in inputs and creates 1 to many servers (using the count option) based on the inputs provided. But I would like to pass in a “list” of inputs in a dictionary format to this blueprint to create multiple instances for each unique set of input params in the list.

For example I would like to call one Blueprint that takes in serverNamePrefix,serverNameStartingSuffixNumber,serverTemplate,cpuCount,memoryInMB,hostFunction,serverCount as inputs multiple times with a list like this:

[

{

"cpuCount": "1.0",

"memoryInMB": "1024.0",

"serverCount": "1.0",

"hostFunction": "Management",

"serverTemplate": "Server 2016-SHB",

"serverNamePrefix": "MgmtServer" ,

"serverNameStartingSuffixNumber": "1.0"

},

{

"cpuCount": "1.0",

"memoryInMB": "1024.0",

"serverCount": "1.0",

"hostFunction": "Admin",

"serverTemplate": "Server 2016-SHB",

"serverNamePrefix": "AdminServer",

"serverNameStartingSuffixNumber": "1.0"

}

]

I customized the input form of my blueprint to take this in.  It passes all of the info in the request details and it shows correctly in the history tab, but the first item in the list is the only one created

Image1.png

How can I have this blueprint process each of the inputs in the list as its own request for resources?

I can see in the events tab that it appears it is creating the first ([0]’th) element in the list, but never continues to the next ([1]’st)

Image2.png

The other option is to have my Service catalog request to call a VRO workflow which will loop through the list of inputs and call a blueprint for each set inputs in the list.

Is it possible for a VRO workflow/action to call a VRA blueprint passing in inputs?

Finally, I saw that VRA 8.1 is still missing nested blueprints, do you know if there are any plans to add that in the near future?

Thanks for all of your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can deploy a BP from REST API but then you'll have separate deployments for each call. Is this a problem?

Online Documentation - vRealize Automation 8.0 API Programming Guide - VMware {code}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why not adding multiple VM resources (by function) to the same BP with separate input fields?

0 Kudos
NateApex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am trying to keep the BR template generic and the input could be different amounts of VMs with each run.
0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can have a count for each component. You only have to know the number of functions and put that many components on the blueprint.

You can have 0 as count for any component if you do not want to deploy that function.

0 Kudos
NateApex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is an option, but if I have 10 different configurations of the same 15 components it becomes cumersome to read/maintain.

Is there no way to trigger a blueprint from VRO?

Is there no way to pass in multiple input values for the same set of resources in a blueprint?

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can deploy a BP from REST API but then you'll have separate deployments for each call. Is this a problem?

Online Documentation - vRealize Automation 8.0 API Programming Guide - VMware {code}

0 Kudos
NateApex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That could work. I will look in to that. Thank you.
0 Kudos