VMware Cloud Community
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7 creating VM and not getting info from Network Profile

Ok, so we are running vRealize Automation 7 in our testlab and, for whatever reason, when we deploy a Windows VM (via a clone/template) the VLAN is configured correctly, an IP address is allocated within vRA but the IP is not assigned inside the Guest OS.  From what we can tell, everything seems to be in order.  Is there something simple we are missing?  Is anyone else doing something similar? 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Seems correct. Try setting the VirtualMachine.Network0.Name rather than profile name and see if that works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you specified a customization script in the blueprint? Does the hostname of the provisioned VM get set properly?

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At this point we are getting the IP on the Windows VM, but for some reason, despite Network Profiles for the correct network, the VM is not being set to it's correct portgroup.  It seems to round-robin between the available portgroups.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are the network profiles mapped to the correct portgroup in the reservation? See attached image as an exampleScreen-Shot-2014-09-19-at-7.28.25-AM.png

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, paths are mapped to the profiles

Capture.JPG

The profiles all have a subnet mask and an IP range as well.

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Based on your screenshot, I would expect it to choose a port group (in the reservation) at random and assign an IP from the applicable profile. If you want to direct the blueprint to a specific network you can add the VirtualMachine.Network0.Name or VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName to the blueprint and specify a port group or profile to use. Then it will always use that port group and its respective profile or vice versa.

vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is EXACTLY what it is doing. So what we're trying to do is allow a drop-down box for the user to choose the desired VLAN and have it assign that VLAN to the machine and have it pull the IP from the IP range.

What we did was make a property definition/group of the VLAN profiles with the desired VLANs:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I matched the names in the "value" section of property definition to the names of the Network Profiles:

Capture.JPG

And as you saw previously, the reservations are matched up correctly with the profiles.

But whenever a VLAN is chosen, the IP address is correct but the VLAN is not.

Capture.JPG Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Seems correct. Try setting the VirtualMachine.Network0.Name rather than profile name and see if that works.

0 Kudos
vmware12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5/5 VMs made with the correct VLAN from that little change. Thanks so much man, I've been beating my head against this since last Wednesday.