VMware Cloud Community
xXxfoC
Contributor
Contributor

[vRA 7.6] xaas blueprint - generate a downloadable script for client to run

relative newbie to vRA -  but looking for advice on how to accomplish this goal....

I'd like to create a catalog item that would enable a end user to select a vm template from a drop down list

and from that selection a dynamically generated (powershell) script would be produce that the client could download from the deployment

screen. The scripts purpose is relatively unimportant but generally it would  call ovftool to download the template locally to the client system.

I'm thinking that my journey would start in the xaas blueprints with some combination of vsphere and powershell resource but was wondering if a broader audience could lend any advice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is very simple to accomplish IF you don't want a deployment in the inventory with their script resource.

You will definitely need to use XaaS which can easily present a dropdown of templates to choose from. You then have two easy options:

1. After they select the template and press next, populate a read only text box with the script that they can copy + paste. The user can then cancel or submit the workflow which theoretically does nothing
  2. they select the template and submit the workflow. it then emails them with the script attached

If you really want it to become a deployment, which makes no sense to me, you will need to look into vRO dynamic types.

0 Kudos
xXxfoC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! for the advice - I'll give that a try.

0 Kudos