VMware Cloud Community
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vRA 7.6 Bug with Software Components Properties?

We have a software component, added to a blueprint.

The blueprint contains just one vSphere__vCenter__Machine_1 component, which then contains one Software Component.

Then the Software Component contains 2 properties:
1. String: has a binding to vSphere__vCenter__Machine_1~string1, which is set via a vRO action in the Custom Form.
2. Secure String has a fixed value (encrypted checkbox)

The script is fine and the properties are properly added to the script (read below, otherwise it wouldn't work with higher role).

When a user requests a VM with this blueprint who is a member of the Business Group Manager Role, the 2 properties are passed through to the script. I can see that because the script currently writes them to a local log file.

When the user is just a Business Group User, the script runs but without the properties. So I see the log of the script but the values are empty.

Same script and same blueprint, only different is whether the user is Group Manager or not.  (or Support role is also enough)
So, normal User: script runs without the properties, Manager or Support role: script runs as expected with the properties.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This may help, I believe: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/71116 

jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

While not really the same, it is simmilar enough.

I tested by making then "not hidden", but that did not fix it.
However, since we use a Custom Form and the fields are not shown there, the issue was fixed by adding the fields to the form.

Unfortunately one of the fields contains a (encrypted) password, which I don't want to be visible on the form for end-users.

0 Kudos
jimmyvandermast
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My work-around for the work-around: I enabled "Show in request" in the blueprint, then I added them to the custom form and set "Visible: false" there. Now they are passed through to the script and still not visible to the end user.

0 Kudos