VMware Cloud Community
Guruprasad143
Contributor
Contributor

vRA 7.5 -We have deployed a VM from the blueprint with 8 CPU, But when we logged into the machine we can see only 4 cores available.

Hi,

Currently i am facing one issue in vRA 7.5.

Issue:  We have deployed a VM (Windows 10 enterprise build 15063)  -from the blueprint which allows for 4-16 CPUs. When we modifies it to i.e. 8 the VM gets created with 2 sockets x 4 cores, but guest os can use only 4. This issue happens only this blueprint.

but in Device Manager 8 CPUs are visible also there is a red warning in vcenter. if I shutdown the VM, change the CPUs to 4 then again to 8 and start the VM - it is fixed.

From the template i have deployed a VM with 8 CPU and i did not face any issues in vCennter. While deploying VM from the vRA we will get this issue.
Requesting you to please help me on this issue to fix.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

so you say that if the endresult is

numvcpus = "1"

cpuid.coresPerSocket = "8"

The VM is ok ? while it is not ok with

numvcpus = "2"

cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vRealize Automation Tools

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Guruprasad143
Contributor
Contributor

In vcenter level i am getting this 'Virtual machine configured with an unsupported number of cores per socket' alert on VM edit setting in CPU tab.

Core per socket 2 and socket 4 and CPU 8

0 Kudos
Guruprasad143
Contributor
Contributor

Guys Please any help on this issue. this is very urgent..

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For urgent issues, you should open a case with GSS. VMTN is not a replacement for support.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you figured out which combination of parameters create a working VM ?
Once you know that - you should have a workaround

0 Kudos
Guruprasad143
Contributor
Contributor

I have compared with working template (Windows 10 1803) and both are 99% same configuration. 

1. Deployed test VMs from other blueprints with 8 and 16 CPUs, it was working and updated at guest O.S level.

2. When we deploy VM from this 'Windows_10_1703' blueprint we will get a CPU issue.

3. I have upgraded VMware tools and windows updates and tested but the same issue happened.

4. After deploying a VM from the blueprint with 8 CPUs, we have observed an alert 'Virtual machine configured with an unsupported number of cores per socket' on CPU under VM edit settings.

5. We have added custom property 'cpuid.coresPerSocket' with 4 it is working only for 8 CPUs but not 16 CPUs.

6. Checked blueprint, template and custom specs look good.

7. I have deployed a VM from vCenter level with the same  template with 8 and 16 CPUs and found CPUs are reflecting correctly in guest os. 

8. Removed VM from the inventory and re-added to the host after that we have Deployed VM from the template but the same issue.

9. There are no logs observed related to this in vRA level.

10. Only the issue happens when we deploy a VM from the blueprint in vRA.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

long shot, but have you tried applying the latest hotfix patch?

there're tons of issues resolved on top of 7.5 GA
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/60310

0 Kudos
Guruprasad143
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the updates!

Recently we have upgraded vRA 7.5 to 7.6 with hot fix but still the CPU issue is not resolved.

0 Kudos