VMware Cloud Community
perculaaps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 7.4 Custom forms with property definition type drop down shows up as a text field

I have (2) property definitions that are pre-populated drop downs. Lot's of values that change over time. I'm pulling data from SNOW to populate these and update them on a daily basis. They are configured to show on the request form.

I have added both property definitions to my blueprint as custom properties. But when I edit the custom form they come in as text field and not as a drop down. Of course if I change the display type to drop down, the values are lost and the form expects them to be provided in the form?!?!?

So how do you use a property definition type drop down in a custom form?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
perculaaps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So basically a bug/not supported in this version. If you need to do something like this you have do it as an external value using a vRO action to return the values.

Is that correct?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe that's the case. Keep in mind custom forms is a 1.0 feature in 7.4 and has some pretty big limitations in this version. It'll get better, but just to put it into perspective.

0 Kudos
perculaaps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank much!

Yep, version 1 pains, but very happy with them otherwise, talk about nice for reducing sprawl! Between custom forms and T-shirt sizing I've eliminated a ton of catalog items from vRA 6 days Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is great for reducing sprawl, and if you want to take that even further and reduce blueprints the SovLabs Property Toolkit cuts them down further with dynamic decisions made at request time. I used it recently to collapse 16 blueprints into just one!

0 Kudos