VMware Cloud Community
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 7.3 Puppet node - where is vRA logging the puppet node calls and errors?

We have added a puppet node as a vRO configuration endpoint and it was working. Now blueprints fail with timeouts and I can't find where the detailed logs for the puppet calls from the blueprints are being logged.

Have looked in CAFE Catalina.out and IAAS server logs but can't see the info being passed to the puppet server or an explicit error.

Has anyone troubleshooted puppet calls from blueprint provisions?

Thanks Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It depends how you're hooking it and what the blueprint looks like. Are you using Foreman or Puppet Enterprise?

0 Kudos
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's Puppet enterprise installed using the vRO plugin as described here https://puppet.com/blog/integrate-puppet-vra-7.3-manage-application-delivery

Since posting this I have found the log info.

vRA blueprint puppet component on running calls the vRO workflow (workflow from enterprise plug-in 3.0)  "Install PE agent with Role". The workflow run has some log info in vRO but for more detailed logs of what is happening see this file on the vRO appliance

/var/log/vmware/vco/app-server/scripting.log           (file on my external vRO appliance).

Now I have the payload info being passed to the puppet node.

The journey continues .....

0 Kudos
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vRA blueprint puppet component will cause the "Install PE agent with Role" after the post stub (this blueprint still using old style stubs not event broker subscriptions). Also when a VM is destroyed in vRA the "Purge PE agent node" is called after the Dispose stub call. I can see that for some VMs the purge workflow call doesn't happen. Not sure why yet ... anyone seen this behaviour?

0 Kudos
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Logs to look in for this issue

VRA

/var/log/vmware/vcac/Catalina.out

/var/log/vmware/vcac/Access_log.txt

VRO

/var/log/vmware/vco/app-server/server.log

/var/log/vmware/vco/app-server/integration-scripting.log

/var/log/vmware/vco/app-server/localhost_access_log.txt