VMware Cloud Community
the_gruffalo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 7.2 "Cannot drop {software_component} onto "vSphere Machine"

Hi,

We are currently trialing vRA 7.2 and as part of that trial I'm trying to set up blueprints that will use software components. I've created a simple SC and a VM template that was prepped using the prepare_vra_template.ps1 to install all the required agents. The problem is that when I go to drop the SC onto the machine in the BP designer I get the error "Cannot drop {software_component} onto "vSphere Machine". I've added some custom properties to the machine

VirtualMachine.Admin.UseGuestAgent

VirtualMachine.Customize.WaitComplete

In the hope that they would sort it out but so far I've been unsuccessful. I also don't seem to be able to locate any other prerequsites for this that I may be missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The SC parent container might not be a machine. Please check that.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The SC parent container might not be a machine. Please check that.

the_gruffalo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahhh ok. Yes that was it. I wasn't sure what that option was for and had set it to to "Software Container" although seeing it used in it's proper context it seems obvious what it shoul dhave been set to now.

0 Kudos
wllp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have created the SC with the container as "Machine". However, I am still not able to drop onto the vSphere Machine. Any other advise? Thanks!

0 Kudos
stephane_michel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem

The container is Machine, but I can't drop it onto a vSphere virtual machine in the canvas.

If someone as an idea.

thanks

0 Kudos
terenceberger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the same problem here.

I was following the same instructions, i guess. http://open902.com/vrealize-automation-7-2-guest-agent-and-software-components/#

Did you find a solution for that problem?

0 Kudos
terenceberger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, nevermind. I found a solution for me.

I got an user "Infrastructure Architect" who has all the architecture roles asigned.

With it I have created the Software Component and wanted to use it directly after the creation on a VM blueprint.

But I first had to assign this Software Component to a service and create an entitlement for my "Infrastructure Architect".

If you got an user who has the architect-roles and the tenantadmin role you won't facing that, cause the tenantadmin can access all the blueprint and components, so they can be added to the catalog.

Greetings Smiley Happy

0 Kudos